VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend sent me a link to your outstanding set of miscellaneous instructions, FAQ's, how to's, and all sorts of other goodies. What a gold mine! He and I both have 2004 Passat TDIs, purchased new here in the greater Seattle area. Mine is the 4 door sedan, his is the wagon. For the most part, done our own maintenance, and service, including the timing belt changes. For most of the information we have been using Fred's TDI Club, and they have been lifesavers. I lurk on several other VW and Audi boards looking for service tidbits, but your VW-PASSAT-TDI-FAQ-DIY section is the best I have seen!

This car has been mostly trouble free. Wife's car, she loves it, and drives the crap out of it! I drive a Dodge Cummins pick up...so we don't use much gasoline at all anymore. HA! We are up to ~130,000 miles on the TDI, with only the usual minor issues. I am troubled by all I read on the chain issues, with the oil pump and balance shaft problems, but from what I can hear with ours, we are still OK, at least for now. Yeah, the idle is a bit rougher than I remember, but I simply cannot detect any odd noises that seem out of the ordinary...knock wood...I do try to keep the idle torsion correct with my VAG-COM...

I have had some of the more well known issues with the headlight rattle, the issues with the crap AM reception (which the dealer completely ignored), the ceramic glow plug recall, and subsequent recall for cold weather issues (not done yet...), early rear brake wear, and so on...

I installed the B5.5 Panzer engine skid plate, by Diesel Geek, during the timing belt change, and I swear, not 500 miles after that, she hit the dreaded truck retread, at night, on the freeway, at high speed! Took out the lower grill, fascia, and fog lights, and put a very nasty mark on the skid plate, but no issues to the oil pan, and nothing further back...lucky, lucky...that is one mod I really recommend! Convinced that saved an engine, since there are no engine gauges to monitor...

Anyway, this site ROCKS! I'll be visiting often to keep some of the minor issues at bay. Keep up the great work!
Cheers!
Bryant

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Do you have window tint? Any metallic window tint kills AM reception.

Welcome, there are some very small issues that are pretty annoying but I'd say they're perfectly livable. The balance shaft and camshaft issues are the worst but other than that I think the cars are pretty reliable. Think of the repair as an investment!

If you like the section, feel free to make your own writeup and improve it!
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts