VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I bought a 2002 TDI beetle a little over a year ago for my daughter. Good thing it gets great MPG because she does put a lot of miles on it! Right now I've got ABS, Airbag, and CEL all on. CEL is intermittent. 138k miles. I just ordered a Vag-Com dongle, so will be attacking these all soon... Also - I smell diesel fuel - not overpowering, but there - when it's sitting in the driveway. Didn't smell it like that until recently.

I did my homework on it so had the timing belt done immediately upon purchase (a mechanic over in Decatur, AL if you're interested). Couldn't confirm that it'd been done. I do as much as I can for myself:
Oil Changes (pela, from above)
Replaced oil pan (unfortunate trail riding incident with her ex-BF :mad: )
New glow plug harness
various other nits that I can't remember

Looking forward to getting these new nits (hoping) fixed soon.

TIA for all I'm sure I'll learn here.
Ray

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! 138 isn't that bad, you'll be happy to know that it should provide reliable transportation for many more miles! But there are some common problems that come up. Try posting the codes to see what all those codes are about. If the CEL is turning off by itself, it's usually a minor code that will go away after a certain number of engine starts, then is lit again once the problem blips back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ray, I bought a 2001 NB a little over a year ago with 217,000 miles. I'm now at 237,000 trouble free miles. I too did the timing belt immediately. New viton seals in the injector pump got rid of the diesel smell in mine. Just take care of the nits as they come up and enjoy it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts