VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to this site and would like to say hello. I own an 06 VW Beetle TDI with an automatic transmission.
I have a number of issues I am trying to work through and would appreciate any input from the members. As not to just throw a bunch of questions out, I will start with one. I have a persistant problem with my engine light coming on and setting DTC code 06512, P0128. The owners manual is saying when the engine comes on and stays lit that it is an exhaust emmissions issue. The DTC code is refering to the thermostat and/or temperature sensor. I have twice replaced the thermostat with a 87oC stat and new green top sensor. The condition still persists, coming on about 2 days after the code is reset. The car seems to run fine it just doesn't get the real great gas mileage everyone says they get, it gets arond 30 from mostly in town driving with the AC on. I have run the issue by a number of people and the dealer says I should use A diesel fuel conditioner named Stanadyne and this would possibly resolve the issue. I have used Amsoil Diesel conditioner and it does not seem to really do much. Another theory I heard was that I should go up a range in the thermostat to like a 92oC which would make the system run warmer? I have also heard that I should re-flash the ECU from another shop. I would appreciate any input from members that might have experienced a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I can say that the fuel conditioner won't make any different. The thermostat shouldn't be causing those problems and you should not have to re-flash anything.

Try checking the vac lines and wiring to the EGR valve, could also be leak. I'm not familiar with those codes off the top of my head and not sure exactly what the problem is, other than that the EGR system can leak and stick. It is definitely not going to be fixed by changing the thermostat. Did you own the car since new? It should have the stock ECU programming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the 2 codes are for the same thing from the VW database. 16512
P0128
Coolant Thermostat/Valve Temperature below control range is the text for the codes. Basically it says that the coolant temp needs to get to a certain degree in a fairly fast amount of time. So the dealer fix is to replace the stat and sensor if troubleshooting indicates that is not happening or the sensor is not sending the info. With the car hooked up for diagnostics these things seem to be happening. Now as far as the EGR goes, I have heard of issues but was told that it was on pre 05 and 06 cars. I know there are specific codes for EGR function and this is the only I set.
I am not the original owner, the car has about 120,000 on it and not knowing how it was maintained I have done a lot of maintenance on it. I purchased it from a clueless car lot that only kept saying the car would get 50 miles to the gallon. Their on site mechanic said the car was fine and said it no issues. I knew better, still bought the car because they are a little hard to come by at a reasonable price because I wanted one. I really enjoy the car and have been working on trying to get things right. So I thought I would join the Forum and share with the members. I am checking the EGR circuit per your thoughts to see if anything seems to be amiss. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts