VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm Scotty. I purchased a 2004 VW Jetta 1.9tdi (BEW) 142,000 miles on it a couple years ago. Car ran great for almost a year. Then started making this crazy thumping noise which continued to get worse. It was loud......almost sounded like a gasser with a exhaust manifold leak except the engine shook. So a friend that i thought really knew VWs told me it was the turbo. My son and i started taking it all apart but I've never had a diesel so i started doing research. Finding this forum with the Wiki and the how to videos was awesome thank you for demonstrating all of that! Directly after getting done with the turbo replacement, we started it and realized that wasn't even the issues. So then after doing research found out that the cams go on that year Jetta.. So that was the next adventure cam and the bearings new water pump pullys and timing belt. Between info and videos from this website plus my repair manual things went well. Its been a while since we did all that work.. We are having an issue with the turbo shutting down when in 5th gear doing like 50 and accelerating and at 3500 rpm the turbo just kinda kicks off. I have to turn the car off and restart it or i don't have any power wondering what this could be? Also a friend said doing an EGR delete was a good idea and he would be able to program the car but he couldnt. so now i always have an engine light on i dont know how to get it out. Some ideas would greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
9,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own after 9 months. ;)

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hi Keith! Long Story Short, and to answer your question with no BS..., pay to get your car “Tuned/EGR Deleted” to get rid of that check engine light (ECL) by a reputable company/person.

Short Story Long:
I have been a member of this forum for maybe 5 or 6 years now? I can’t remember, and I still haven’t made an intro on my own, but have tried to help out another member last month with a similar issue I have had. Maybe someday I’ll make an intro, but that is a lot of effort if I’m not going to be constantly active. I read these help post a lot and I agree that It’s really annoying to have to make an “Intro Post” just to get some help, since it seems like the majority of the people on this forum joined because they were having issues with their VW Diesel car.

My car’s history semi related to your issue:
I also have a 2004 VW Jetta 1.9tdi (BEW), and I had some bad exhaust fumes and turbo would not work. I discovered my lower intake manifold cooler to exhaust flex pipe had a hole in it causing the no turbo “limp mode” issue. I removed and blocked off from the intake manifold exit to the exhaust manifold, like you did. My car worked fine for about a year for the most part, (I’ve been chasing a low mpg issue (currently getting 30-40 mpg originally getting 60mpg new) for maybe 5+ years now). Since the EGR has been removed and blocked off, that has caused the engine light (ECL) to constantly be on. You need to get your car tuned to “delete” that error from showing up in the ECU (cars’ computer), just like your friend said he could do, but ended up or being able to do. Malone or Kerma Tuning can do this, but I found another guy who can do this for a lower price than the 2 previously mentioned. Message “Stevenson Tuning Ltd “ (Jeff Stevenson) on Facebook from Canada. I haven’t actually gotten a tune from him yet after 3+ years, since he suggested I get my “car working properly before I get a tune so it runs at peak performance” which is an understandable suggestion since I have still haven’t figured out by mpg issue, and have since had to replace Catalytic Converter and, my clutch after 300k miles on the odometer. I’m still planning on going through him when I’m finally ready to do the EGR Delete/Tune on my ‘04 Jetta TDI BEW. I should really just do it now since I’ve had my check engine light on for around 5+ years, and am still chasing and fixing issues.

Long story short again... pay to get your car Tuned/EGR Deleted. I hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts