VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
VW Passat TDI SE 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, I'm a new member from Fresno, California. I own a 2013 VW Passat TDI SE and joined the forum as a resource for help.
Love my car. Gets great fuel mileage which is important since I have a 56 mile per day commute.
Yesterday, the Glow Plug indicator light started flashing when I started the car in the morning. It stayed off when I started the car to come home in the afternoon.
Today, the Glow Plug indicator light was again flashing on start up in the morning but in the afternoon, it came back on and the Malfunction Indicator Light came on as well.
Manual says to "carefully drive to the nearest dealer or Service Facility" but it was almost 5:00 pm. Closest Service Facility said they couldn't see it for a week. Next closest Service Facility said they couldn't see it for two weeks.
Hoping I'll find some help in the forums so I know if I can keep driving it or need to leave it parked until I can get it in for service.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
You'll have to find a shop that has VCDS and get it scanned. A flashing glowplug light simply means there is a fault in the engine controls and it's impossible to know without getting it scanned. Do you have any shops near you that specialize in euro cars that can look at it? I am a little surprised the dealer wouldn't at least scan if for you as it takes less than 5 minutes and they can walk out to your car to do it. This is one of the many reasons I hate dealerships.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Looks like there is a German Auto Repair in your city that has decent reviews. You might try taking it to them and have it scanned.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Reactions: Wallrus

·
Registered
VW Passat TDI SE 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI All, I'm a new member from Fresno, California. I own a 2013 VW Passat TDI SE and joined the forum as a resource for help.
Love my car. Gets great fuel mileage which is important since I have a 56 mile per day commute.
Yesterday, the Glow Plug indicator light started flashing when I started the car in the morning. It stayed off when I started the car to come home in the afternoon.
Today, the Glow Plug indicator light was again flashing on start up in the morning but in the afternoon, it came back on and the Malfunction Indicator Light came on as well.
Manual says to "carefully drive to the nearest dealer or Service Facility" but it was almost 5:00 pm. Closest Service Facility said they couldn't see it for a week. Next closest Service Facility said they couldn't see it for two weeks.
Hoping I'll find some help in the forums so I know if I can keep driving it or need to leave it parked until I can get it in for service.
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.
Thank you all for your help. We'll find someone on Monday who will get the code(s) for us and let you know what they come up with.

·
Registered
VW Passat TDI SE 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading a bit in the forums, and getting an ambiguous response from VW dealer mechanic, it was finally determined to be the air filter. Apparently between the dirt in the air (harvest season dust) and smoke from the CA fires, the air filter was clogged. They did not return the "clogged" filter, "already threw it away" and that bugs me since they claimed it was not the right filter (BS since it was the filter with the foam as noted in other forums).

Also they claimed the car required a 3 hour Regen which seems a little extreme since husband's diesel work truck (Kenworth T880) does a Regen in 15 minutes.

Unreal that it took over two weeks to get a "diagnosis and repair." At least we know going forward to have a spare air filter on hand for an end of summer replacement that I can do in the parking lot!

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Your better of making a new thread in the correct section about this new problem as I don't want to bog down your intro?

I've deleted your other intro because you added it to an existing intro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts