1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello
This is a great site and happy to be a member
Location Brxham Devon England
car 1999 Passat B5 estate (wagon) 1.9 tdi AFN 110BHP engine Automatic gearbox (transmission)
Car is brilliant work done so far;
CCM relocated up under dash behind glove box.
Full service oil filters etc
Replaced gearbox ECU (water damage under carpet) relocated ecu under dash below steering colum No more water issues.

Just replaced timing belt a/c and alternator belt now the bad bit
Engine starts and runs ok but under heavy acceleration or under load going uphill engine losses power and black/grey smoke from exhaust engine revs rise and fall, sound like airbeing sucked in heavily (can be heard with windows closed)
I have checked the timing on the crank camshaft and injector pump twice and it is spot on.
vag com gave error code 00550 17-10 ross site pointing to injector timing any thought help greatly appreciated
Cheers Dunc60

·
Registered
25 Posts
You already checked my first thought, the timing belt being a tooth off. That code means injector timing so it's something to do with that. Clear the code and see if it comes back. If not, something else is causing this problem. Could it be a boost leak? When you did the timing belt, maybe one of the hoses was removed and has since popped off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Water damage? The ECU is in a box under the windshield. Maybe it got flooded too and is giving you problems.

Have you checked the fuel pickup in the tank and verified the lines are OK and not bent pinched? Maybe you're not getting fuel. A Boost leak is also a possibility - when the engine needs extra load something is giving way.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
vag com gave error code 00550 17-10 ross site pointing to injector timing any thought help greatly appreciated
As already said its injector related.

VAG Error Code: 00550

Fault Location:
Start of injection - control

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Fuel injection timing solenoid.
Injector needle lift sensor.
Air in fuel system.
Fuel level low.
Pump timing.

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software. Sorry to promote this but we've had 732 views and 17 downloads and no one has made any comments yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi dunc60, I'm from Scotland and fairly new to this forum stuff but great place for info.
Anyway, I was just wondering if this problem has just started since you changed the timing belt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. When you checked timing did you check a key on the crankshaft sprocket... That small thing is very soft, I had several engines with no power because or it. This can explain your timing code too. Sometimes the key breaks and car does not start after that you need an engine job. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hi. When you checked timing did you check a key on the crankshaft sprocket... That small thing is very soft, I had several engines with no power because or it. This can explain your timing code too. Sometimes the key breaks and car does not start after that you need an engine job. Good luck.
Great idea, although it was more common on the IDI because the TDI doesn't use a key (it uses a flat spot on the crank), this could still happen. I will clarify the "wobbly crankshaft sprocket" section in the low power/limp mode articles now. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ello Guys
Sorry about delayed responce currently working nights.
Thanks for info did belt myself and had injector pump pinned and camshaft locked spoke to local independant who recons it is possibly a tooth out on crank??
Working night shifts so not had chance to have a look and weather is too manky today will have a look Thursday (dayoff)
(local guy recons should work without vag com) which is good as my free down load has stopped working and currently trying to down load new VCDS-lite from ross-tech.
Will post findings thursday friday any one else having trouble with vag com free dowload or is it just my daughters laptop playing up.
Cheers BD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SORTED
dropped front end and lock carrier to service position.
Removed all 4 glowplugs
checked timing camshaft lobes No1 cylinder at 10-2 locked at rear slot, injector pump pinned, paint mark on flywheel lined up. (No mark as it shows in the haynes manual just a spot of silver paint)
Removed locks rotated engine twice all the same
Plugged a combination vac/pressure gauge into No1 glowplug hole and rotated engine until pressure in No1 on compression dropped and slight vac. checked timing camshaft out of line, injector pump out of line, very faint second spot of silver paint (looked like it had been wiped off but not completely) now at tdc, 1/4 inch in front of spot i was using as tdc (still no mark as per haynes manual).
Checked it again 3 times same results.
Set No1 cylinder on tdc using new paint spot, removed the belt, set camshaft and locked, set injector pump and pinned refitted belt Bingo starts and runs road tested all ok
DON`T TRUST OTHER PEOPLES MARKINGS.
I have now stamped a line on the flywheel and rubbed of the paint spots.
I guess the static setup method will get the engine running and lets the ECU adjust to a reasonable setting but you need vag com(VCDS) to set it up spot on .
Many thanks for all the help from you Guys hope this is of use to others.
Well that was a productive use of a day off.
Cheers BD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts