VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
2002 Jetta tdi 106K 5 speed stock

I have been cooped up inside all winter so with the nice weather this last weekend i decided to clean the intake. Man oh man was it constricted.
When in was cleaning the intake ports in the head, i started to turn the engine over using the cam bolt(big nono). Well it was really turning over really hard,i was looking at the TB starting to stretch over the grooves on the cam pulley. I took a break, THAT is when i realized i had the car gear.
I finish up everything no problems no stuck or broken bolts, not even any extra bolts or parts in general (what a day) I cross my fingers turn the key. The motor starts after its normal half revolution.(always starts fast).
This is where i notice a funny sound, wait it ..........sounds .like........a....ford .........powerstroke........how odd, i shut it off and think, thinking does not help, so i look and look, then i poke around a little, when i try it again same odd sounding motor, not a bad valve bending, piston banging sound, just odd, different. I shut it off. THINK. I have been thinking for a day now. I started reading about timing and belts in the how to section. I saw a picture in there, that shows where the spring clips that hold the TB cover on, are.
This is what i think may of happened: when i put the TB cover back on, the front clip(the one i did not see) may be inside the cover, maybe rubing against the belt or IP or something.
I am going to look. But while its raining now i thought i would ask here.
HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? or am i grasping for straws?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Yeh that sort of thing happens fairly regular, that's why it's always good to check and double check, you learn these things as you gain more experience like you'll know to double check the clips for the cover next time:)

welcometomyturbodies

PS you ought to change your location to rainy central ct.:D

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for responding so quickly. It raining very hard right now . I am chomping at the bit to go look at that clip. I really hope that is the noise, other than that it is check the timing because of the tension i put on the cam pulley. I do not think i want to take on all that after reading about it.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
eh, changing the belt isn't really that bad :D

just follow the diy and u'll be just fine :thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts