VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
VW Golf MK5 2005 2.0 GT TDI 140 4motion BKD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new here - Im from the UK, Brighton but loads of info here that still relates to my MK5 TDI golf...

Im having an overboost issue and been through many things including reading the excellent guide on here (wallet nearly empty)...

What Ive done so far:
  • removed EGR cooler (had a big failure) seemed to be the start of my issues
  • removed EGR using delete kit
  • New vacuum actuator
  • New fuel temp sensor (previous error code)
  • New MAF (bosch)
  • new vacuum lines
  • Turbo removed and stripped own/cleaned (wasnt that dirty)
  • Car had been remapped (no history) so had it remapped back to stock with an EGR delete
Only thing I can think now is that I noticed the flexi pipe after the DPF on the exhaust (straight off the exhaust clamp by the turbo) is a bit lose and I think gases leaking out - would this cause an issue? When driving car resonates at certain speeds which I think is the flexi pipe vibrating? Also when I was separating the exhaust from the turbo I had to use a plastic hammer on the DPF as it was stuck - could I have clogged the DPF? I think thats what caused the welds to fail on the flexi pipe..

Thx all for any input :)o_O

·
Super Moderator
VW Jetta TDI Mk5 2005.5 BRM
26 Posts
Hey there, welcome! Sounds like this might be helpful to you: Fixing limp mode low power in a VW Jetta Golf TDI or wagon - feels like lost the turbo boost

A couple of things worth checking:
  • The N75 is a little thing that oft goes forgotten and can sometimes be the source of issues like yours.
  • Also well worth checking your wiring harness, I also have a Mk5 (Jetta) and the main loom in the engine bay had a lot of exposed wires on it when I first took a look.
I'll PM this info to you as well. Welcome, and good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey there, welcome! Sounds like this might be helpful to you: Fixing limp mode low power in a VW Jetta Golf TDI or wagon - feels like lost the turbo boost

A couple of things worth checking:
  • The N75 is a little thing that oft goes forgotten and can sometimes be the source of issues like yours.
  • Also well worth checking your wiring harness, I also have a Mk5 (Jetta) and the main loom in the engine bay had a lot of exposed wires on it when I first took a look.
I'll PM this info to you as well. Welcome, and good luck!
Thx for the info - very useful! Mine doesnt have the N75 - it has a vacuum solenoid that all the pipes run off - thats been checked. Could be wiring though as it is a bit messy in places?

From that article link:
"If there's enough of an exhaust leak at the EGR hoses or exhaust manifold, the gases powering the turbo will leak out, causing unexpected values and limp mode. Check for soot stains around the exhaust area. " <- that could be my problem - Im going to seal up the flexi pipe that comes out of the DPF, see if that helps.

Many thx for your help..(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a proper look at the exhaust flexi pipe today and it all looks ok really - no need to do any work there so no leaks. I took off the boost pressure sensor and cleaned that - didnt look too bad. Also took out the battery and cleaned up a few earth leads but they didnt look too bad. Really run out of ideas now - still kicks out smoke when revved so its still overboosting I reckon and airflow too high??

·
Super Moderator
VW Jetta TDI Mk5 2005.5 BRM
26 Posts
We might want to take this over to general discussion or the Mk5 forum as there is a mod who's quite insistent about such things.

That said, seems like you have a newer Mk5 than I do so my ability to help is going to be limited. When you had the turbo out, were you able to check the vanes and they worked properly? I've heard that the vanes are a common cause of overboost though I haven't (yet) had that issue myself.

Reactions: bjr72

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I took the turbo out I stripped it down completely and it was already pretty clean. I cleaned it up a bit more and checked for play etc - all seemed pretty good. Even before I stripped it the vane arm was moving freely so no issue there?

Ok so shall I start a new thread in MK5 forum you reckon? thx for your help...

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
We might want to take this over to general discussion or the Mk5 forum as there is a mod who's quite insistent about such things.
You don't know this forum newbie as it has never had an Mk5 Golf section which I've asked Chitty to add.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/2003-07/2005, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: BKD, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD), 16v Timing belt
Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2007-11/2008, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion/R32, Engine Code: BKD, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD), 16v Timing belt

Reactions: bjr72

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for the heads up Keith - I added my spec in about 3 places as I didnt see it appear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts