VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just started driving my new to me 05 passat TDI. I have no history on this car as it was bought through an auction running condition unknown. Only one code so far, it was the glow plug for #3 cylinder. I measured the glow plug and it was 7 Mohms the other 3 were around .8 ohms. I have read about the steel glow plug fix for the recalled ceramic ones, but how do I tell which ones I have now without removing one? I would like to have the correct glow plug in hand before I try and remove it, since this can be quite tedious if it is "sticky".

This car has 105K on it now. So, has the timing belt service been completed? What should I look for to determine if this has been done? If the belt service was performed at one of the VW dealers, would they have this info available?

So far the car runs great and performes better than I expected.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can't tell because all the markings are on the plug. It might be possible to measure the voltage, 5v vs. 7v but I've never tried because the voltage is pulsed through the relay on the PD engines so I'm not sure if it'll work at the GP although I think it can because it should see constant voltage at the GP.

It is very unlikely that the TB was serviced, if done at a dealer they would have the records through the VIN. Also check out the new buying guide for a list of other common problems. They are nice cars but there are a few reliability mods and common problems they have.

welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts