VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I live in Sweden and i bought an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140hp 2007 with DPF 6 months ago.
So far all i´ve done is an oil change and removing the automatic locking at 15km/h with VCDS.

I will try to do as much as possible of the maintenance myself, because i like doing it and i know that it´s done propertly.

My dad and i are currently building a new garage so we have a place to be working on our cars, currently there´s only floor, walls and a roof, no doors, no inner roof but we will continue the work as soon as spring comes. It will have room for four cars (8.8x14 metres), and have a 2.5 ton 2-pillar lift on one of the spots.

Before the audi, i had an Volvo V70 TDI for six years. It had the VW group 2.5l 140hp tdi (same as Audi 100 and early A6s, dont know if they were availible in the us?).

Before the V70 i had an older Volvo 760 Turbodiesel with the 2.4L six cylindre VW engine.
Even longer ago i had an -85 VW Jetta 55Hp diesel

You can see i´m a diesel person :thumbsup

The audi is now at 85k miles. The engine (+ turbo) was replaced on warranty at 50k due to oil pump failure. This was before i bought the car so i dont know any details on exactly what happened.

I would also like to say English is not my first language, and especially not technical terms, so i apologize in advance for poor spelling and grammar.

I´m thinking i will find a lot of useful information and help on this forum :nana2:

Best Regards from Sweden!

/ Daniel

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi Daniel,welcometomyturbodies. I don't suppose you know anything about this brand of lowering spring? Lesjofors

I couldn't help asking as you are the first Swedish person on here that I have seen lol.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would imagine that Sweden is very cold for much of the year right? Good idea on the garage. I've never been to Sweden so I don't know. I have family in Denmark and Swedish people are similar you are probably all tall giants. It must be the cold. Long growing season.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you!

I have heard of Lesjöfors, never used them tho, so i dont know anything about the quality.
You could be right about the long growing season, i´m 6'1 :D

Climate here in the south Sweden is not that cold actually - pretty much the same as Denmark. For the last week now it´s been just above freezingpoint, but we´ve had over a month before that with between 5 and -15 degrees fahrenheit (Good thing i have a frost heater in my TDI, right? I miss the 4.3kw diesel heater i had in the volvo tho)

But the spring and summer is very nice!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I´ve now spent quite some time browsing this page and all i can say is WOW, so much useful TDI info in the same place! :nana2:

Now i have a pretty good idea why the oil pump in my car failed before i bought it - reading the info on chain/tensioner problems. My car was first taken into traffic in October 2006, which makes it very likely it was manufactured in June-Sept 2006 as mentioned in the FAQ about european cars.

Now i am a little nervous if i have a gear driven oil pump in my engine or not - will soon go out to do about the dipstick test i read about!

I also realise replacing the timing belt is not such a big job if you just have the tools - and they seem pretty cheap in the US. Buying that kit in sweden costs almost 400$.

This is not due in my car for a few years tho - because it was replaced when the new engine was installed, but when it´s time i will not hesitate to do it myself.
(Authorized VW/Audi dealer charges $2150 for the TB-job!)

The faqs are very vell written and easy to understand :thumbsup

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I´ve now spent quite some time browsing this page and all i can say is WOW, so much useful TDI info in the same place! :nana2:

Now i have a pretty good idea why the oil pump in my car failed before i bought it - reading the info on chain/tensioner problems. My car was first taken into traffic in October 2006, which makes it very likely it was manufactured in June-Sept 2006 as mentioned in the FAQ about european cars.

Now i am a little nervous if i have a gear driven oil pump in my engine or not - will soon go out to do about the dipstick test i read about!

I also realise replacing the timing belt is not such a big job if you just have the tools - and they seem pretty cheap in the US. Buying that kit in sweden costs almost 400$.

This is not due in my car for a few years tho - because it was replaced when the new engine was installed, but when it´s time i will not hesitate to do it myself.
(Authorized VW/Audi dealer charges $2150 for the TB-job!)

The faqs are very vell written and easy to understand :thumbsup

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! The pictures of the dipstick test should help explain it. What year was the engine replaced? All the recent replacements should be with the gear. You could always buy the tools in the US and ship them over.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I´m guessing the resistance when inserting the dipstick should be clearly noticable if i have the old chain gear oil pump? The only resistance i can feel is when i put the dipstick in the last ½ inch or so, this is when the orange part at the top of the dipstick goes in to its seat in the dipstick tube - sealing so to speak.

The engine was replaced in September 2008, and the service record says:
"Replaced engine including cylinderhead, timing belt, oil pan + turbocharger"
Then there´s an Audi certificate with the new engine number.

Will definantly have timing belt tools shipped from US when it´s time for a change!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts