VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the site, I have a 2001 Jetta TDI, I did my timing belt about 50K km. ago, I am getting an oil leak from the upper RH side of the engine, coming down from valve cover. Valve cover bolts are tight, I suspect the cam seal might be leaking. There seems to be 2 seals available, not sure which one I installed, I read that one of the seals is bi-directional- what does that mean? The other is teflon- I heard it has to sit for 4 hours before engine can be run??

Any more info on these questions, any info on best practises for seal replacement, choice of seal, etc., much appreciated. I was hoping for longer seal life than this. BTW, I am using Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil- does this have anything to do with it, does synthetic oil leak easier??

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I think 4 hours is a bit long but 2 hours is probably OK. It should also not be lubed before installation. If there was a metal spring inside the lip it is rubber. Papery seal w/o spring is teflon. Use syn oil from now on, it's better for your TDI and you can go w/10k mile oil changes. Can't say if it leaks more though. And don't overtighten the valve cover bolts, they can get stripped.
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts