VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told about your sight from a local VW guy, thought I'd give it a try. I am a foster parent to an orphaned 98 Jetta TDI that has passed from shop to shop over the course of 2yrs. The list of repairs is crazy, but no solution to the problem. In a nutshell, will not rev past 2200 rpm. Runs perfect otherwise. No smoke, no skip, no unusual noises, just no power. Have not scanned for codes yet, but I found your site and felt it would be a great aid to my situation. Not new to diesel, I also have a 92 Dodge with a Cummins thats been modified and an 80 Mercedes 300sdl. I am an ASE master technician (20 years), and am currently a retail mgr. for one of the national parts chains, I have a "man cave" at home were I still do work for others. I worked in a all Mercedes shop doing restorations for 8 years, hence the term "benzteck". Would love to help others if I can, I will post any findings I have when I get a chance to get back to work on the Jetta. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and help!

Robin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what's the list of repairs? Maybe they messed one of them up.
This is a short list of what was done by 3 different shops (in no direct order as this was told to me second hand from original owner): new timing belt (they thought it jumped time), new mass air flow sensor, new injection pump, new injectors, new turbocharger, no glow plugs (?), and the bleeding stopped when they replaced the short block. I'm sure I left out something. Owners got so disgusted they abandoned car at last shop after paying repair bill and went to dealer and ordered new his and hers TDI's. Oh yeah, they also replaced the ECU, just remembered that one. Hoping to start work on car next week, will check out suggested info and go from there. Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That's sad, the ECU is about $1300 and it's 99% it could have been fixed with 5 cents of new hose for the ECU. The dealer made out like bandits because not only did they run the customer through the wringer, they got them to buy a 2 new cars!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good AM!,

The holidays are over and I got caught up on restoration projects (restoring a 67 440 GTX) back to the tdi. Scanned today and found code po101 mass air flow sensor code. I have a Snap-0n Solus, using generic obd 11, haven't bought Euro software yet. I will pull the ecm tonight and check the vacuum hose situation. The maf sensor was replaced with a bosch unit, old one in trunk. Battery went flat so I'm going to charge it and hook up scope to check maf operation. Battery was dead, no check engine light when started but less than a minute and maf code set. Also want to pull intake plumbing and check for restriction. When driving feels just like car has plugged exhaust/intake. Are these known for plugging exhaust as well? This site has been very helpfull and saved me lots of head scratching with the knowledge base available. Thank you for what you guys do!
Robin

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Robin. welcometomyturbodies
Scanned today and found code po101 mass air flow sensor code.
VAG Error Code: 16485

EOBD II Error Code: P0101

Fault Location:
Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70)/Volume air flow (VAF) sensor - range/performance problem

Possible Cause:
Intake leak/blockage.
Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70).
Volume air flow (VAF) sensor.
Engine control module (ECM).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts