VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D
Hello:

Well, after kicking the idea down the road for at least the last five years; I have finally bought a diesel. It's not perfect since it has 120,000 miles, but I'm sure it will last. Not only that, but I only paid $5400 for it, as is. The previous owner (female, I believe) had it lowered, and rather cutely added "CART" to the "GOLF" on the rear hatch..... :dunno. There are some issues though that I have to address, such as: replace bushings on right lower control arm, replace or turn front rotors, and the turbo seems to have the carbon build-up issue about which I have been reading. Also, the turbo vane control actuator has a leak in the diaphragm, so that will need replacing. Metal Man Parts has it for $99, free shipping.

Question: Is it worth finding a used VNT; what sort of life can I expect from a VNT?

I will be using the "oven cleaner" method to address the turbo limp, and I have read that using Audi rear bushings on the control arms is a good idea; What about the front bushings? There were some postings from members who were taking their synthetic bushings out because they squeaked too much.

I'm raising my glass to a long and fruitful friendship with this Golf. Thanks so much for the forum, it is a time and money saver. Kudos to everyone.

Harry...........:D

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would personally buy a new VNT turbo because the price isn't that bad, and it'll come with the actuator. Used should be fine but obviously, a used component may have wear issues and therefore life can't be estimated. A new turbo, actuator, and vacuum lines along with maintenance will let you run the Golf cart happily for a long time.

Take a look at the control arm writeup - the front-front LCA bushings are already solid. I would use stock bushings or leave them alone.
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts