VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--Just a quick introduction. We have a 2005 Passat TDI that we dearly love. (It replaced a 2000 Jetta TDI that our family outgrew.) I like to turn a wrench, but always have been hesitant on the VW as I don't know squat about a diesel engine. Well, I've decided to rectify that situation. I plan to get a manual--Bentley, I would suppose--but I can't find one that talks of the TDI--just gasoline engines.

I also restore classic Mustangs and John Deere tractors.

Thanks for any and all help!

--P

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Surprise - the paper Bentley doesn't have the TDI engine in it!

The CD version has it but I absolutely hate their licensing software because it's restrictive. Many major stuff that can be DIY is in the FAQ section, take a look around.

The tractor restoration sounds cool, what years?

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello--Just a quick introduction. We have a 2005 Passat TDI that we dearly love. (It replaced a 2000 Jetta TDI that our family outgrew.) I like to turn a wrench, but always have been hesitant on the VW as I don't know squat about a diesel engine. Well, I've decided to rectify that situation. I plan to get a manual--Bentley, I would suppose--but I can't find one that talks of the TDI--just gasoline engines.

I also restore classic Mustangs and John Deere tractors.

Thanks for any and all help!

--P
Not to offend you but I remember seeing something on 60 minutes about the fuel tank on classic Mustangs being poorly protected and bursting in to flames in a mild rear hit. Same mustangs? They sure look nice though :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current tractor is a 1951 John Deere B. It is about as complicated as a go-kart to work on.

No offense taken on the Mustangs! As oringally produced, the trunk floor was the top of the gas tank and the rear seat back forms one the very back of the trunk. Not safe, but what was in 1966? 8) Now, you can install a plate over the trunk floor that cover the gas tank and a plate that covers the back of the seat back effectively isolating the gas tank outside the car.

That is disturbing about the Bentley manual. The software won't work for me anyway as I'm a mac person. Bummer. Good thing I found you guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts