VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2005 Jetta TDI yesterday and am thrilled with the car! The engine is much more powerful than the diesel Rabbit pickup I owned in the early 1980's and the car is beautiful. 76000 miles seems young for a diesel.

A question came up today when I visited the auto parts store, looking for oil filters, because I suspect my engine may be due for a change. How do I figure out which engine I have...BEW or some other code that also begins with B? Is the engine code hidden in the VIN?

Can anyone help this newbie?

Thanks,
maddog42

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Correct, since you said 2005 GLS Jetta I know it's a BEW. Refer to the mk4 FAQ section as well. The 2005 mk5 Jetta (aka 2005.5) didn't have the GL, GLS, suffix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! After reading the FAQ, I think I have the 2005.5, Package 0 Jetta with the BRM engine. I will spend much more time with the FAQ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the round headlights. Before I saw the 2005.5 model, I had seen many ads for the 2002 Jetta GLS TDI and assumed that the "GLS" carried through but my dealer had neglected to include it in the ad. My mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts