VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I found this forum through a search engine while researching what kind of car to buy. I am a new owner of used 2010 Jetta TDI, with a 6 speed manual transmissions. I love the car, which I bought last Saturday. However, on Sunday, with my putting less than 100 kms on the car, the Check Engine Light came on. The OBD code is p0401, which tells me that there is insufficent exhaust gas recirculation flow. Well, I as you can imagine, I was not very happy to see the CEL on the day after I purchased the car. On the positive side, the car is still under the manufacturer's warranty and I have an extended warranty that also covers the emissions systems. So, it is more the inconvenience of the issue that bothers me (in addition to the fact that the CEL came on at all).

I have had experience with EGR issues on a previous vehicle. They can be complicated and hard to resolve mainly because the dealerships will only do the minimum to get rid of the code, when there can be multiple, contributing causes.

I booked an appointment with the dealership to have them look at the car. I am supposed to take the car in very soon. However, today, the CEL turned went off. I am at a loss to know what to do. Cancel the appointment or take it in anyway? I don't know if the code history is preserved or whether the dealership will want to do perform the diagnosis under warranty if the light is not present, even if the code history is present.

I have a feeling that, even though the CEL is not on right now, it has appeared before, and it will come on again. And, I would like to nip any potential EGR-related issues in the bud. But, I am concerned I will be wasting my time by taking it to the dealership without the light on.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take it in to lodge the complaint so that it's on the record. There will be a code stored. The CEL will go off after a certain number of engine starts or other conditions for more minor things that don't trip the CEL during the off-countdown.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. It is a major inconvenience to take the car in. But, I think you are right about getting a record started by lodging the complaint.

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bit of bad form to reply to one's own post, I know. Anyway, the Check Engine Light came back on this morning, according to my wife. This is a good thing in a way because I am taking the car to the dealership tonight and there will be something visible for them to see tomorrow. I haven't read the code, but I fairly confident it is the p0401 DTC rearing its head again.

I am hot sure why the light is intermittent, probably any number of reasons.

I will post the results, as I learn of them.

Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts