VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, volks! New member. I don't have a TDI (yet!), but for my 2002 Eurovan, this is the only informative site that came up when I Googled my problem. So, I have now joined.

Current problem: On my 2002 Eurovan, the ignition/key switch tab broke off (the part that goes into the electric ignition switch).

I have a new ignition switch; but, of course, it's a different key (VW policy) and the immobiliser prevents the van from starting now (beyond the 1 second or so running). At the very least, I need to temporarily disable the immobiliser to get to a dealer to recode, etc. I believe I need the SKC (secret key code). I think -- from reading posts and the year of the EV, a 2002 -- it's an Immo 3.

Among other things, though, why can't I just put the old key(s) with the chip (switch-blade type OR the valet key) next to the immo antennae on the ignition switch to get the van started? I've tried this several times and it does not work.

Thanks, folks!!! (Someday I hope to convert this van -- as well as my son's 1993 Eurovan -- to a TDI!!)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You CAN put the old key next to the antenna, if it's getting overridden it won't work though. It takes some digging to get the chip out but you can also just swap the old chip to new key. See the mk4 key replacement FAQ article for some pics and instructions.

welcometomyturbodies

1 - 2 of 2 Posts