VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 vw jetta tdi with a DMF attached to it thats falling apart. ive have the g60/vr6 SMF and clutch ready to go in i also ordered a new rear main seal and throw out bearing but i didnt get the throw out arm or clutch fork untill i inspect them (dont have the money right now).

i was reading a members post on mkiv manual tranny removal which looked very detailed compaired to another forum im part of and im looking forward to reading the rest :D

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I’ll be keeping an eye on your progress, jalgerir. “You go first. I’m right behind you.”

I might be putting a new clutch in my new to me ’00 Jetta ALH EGR in the next couple of months. Might be a good time to freshen up the inner CV joints as well on my 200,000 mi. car. I am very intimidated by the clutch install. CV joints not so much.

I look forward to your updates and AAR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you are going to want to disconnect the drivers side ball joint from the control arm 3 bolts to get more movement out of the short axle... otherwise you WILL be wrestling with the transmission a LOT more to get it out.

also, I never remove the drive flanges from the transmission, you need to rotate the flanges up a little to clear the area where the inspection cover comes off the back side, then lift-rotate the trans forward & corkscrew it out of there so that the axle flange clears the flywheel.

I find its easiest to get the trans loose from below, and wedge it on the flywheel with the axle flange holding it in, then go above with a large blanket/cardboard box layers for it to land on, and then grab ahold of the starter hole, and the rib just above the drivers axle flange to manuver the transmission & output flange around the flywheel and let it fall gently onto the padded surface below.

just watch your toes :) and wear heavy boots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a note. When I did my clutch I did not have the alignment tool but I found that my aluminum lug nut wrench was the perfect size to align the preassure plate. Went together perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts