VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Just signed up as im having some issues with my car.

Turbo dropped a seal and caused my AHF (110bhp) engine to run away, got it stopped quickly, but after repacing the turbo and starting it ran (like a dog, for 2 mins) then siezed. Bent con rod :(

I replaced the engine with a 90bhp ALH engine from a golf but used my AHF pump and injectors and kept the ECU and loom as is (to give me a 110bhp ALH). As far as i can see the only major difference was ALH engine has sensor on the sump which my AHF did not. The replacment ALH engine and the turbo both had about 80k on them.

Car seems to run fine and return a decent 48-55mpg, only problem is accelerating especially in 3rd,4th,5th it gets going then cuts the turbo. Quickly flicking the ignition off and on solves it for a few seconds then it cuts again. Occasionally flicking ignition with the throttle flat to the floor, the car will pull like a train and seems fine until i slow down and accelerate again :(

Vagcom lite is showing an overboost condition which seems to tie in with sticky vanes on the turbo.

Anything else i should look for or where could i find out the actual differences between the AHF and ALH engines to ensure i havent missed something?

cheers Neil

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Normally overboost is a misadjusted-sticking VNT actuator or turbo, broken vac lines, or other common cause. FYI, when the turbo broke the seal, you probably had a lot of engine oil in the intake system which caused the new runaway and bent rod. Sorry to hear that...at least know you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts