VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live 70 miles NE of Los Angeles. I have a 2006.5 TDI Jetta with 115K almost trouble free miles (couple of little minor things) -- I really love the TDI and as I bought one of the last ones before the Fed ban in 2007 I ended up the DSG. I wanted a manual trans, but there were none to be had. I now love that trans -- love how it shifts. The dealer once lent me a loaner gas Jetta with slush box -- I hated it after driving mine for 40K.
It is past time for both the second DSG oil change and the first timing belt change. I'm fairly mechanical, just do not have a lot of free time with 2 teenagers at home. But, when the dealer told me it was $1000 to change the timing belt, I figured I could almost take a week off from work, replace the belt and still make money.
I bought a Ross Tech cable 2 weeks ago along with the oil to change the DSG. It seems a rather unconvential way to change a transmission oil, but not that difficult.
I'm now looking at how hard it will be to do the timing belt. Any major problems with it? I noticed I have to have a few TDI specific tools. Do I need the Metalnerd "Sprocket Buster"?
Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
The metalnerd sprocket buster isn't required because you're not busting any sprockets. You do need the other tools. It looks pretty easy if you read the instructions a few times but I'd be careful when doing it. If you mess up the engine could get damaged because the timing belt times the engine.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Correct, I just used it to turn the camshaft sprocket to take up any slack on the non tensioner side of the belt. You can use any substitute tool.

FYI, there is no DSG fluid walkthrough. Something with pictures of each step and the tools required and any problems the DIY mechanic might face would qualify for the writeup contest. The prize has been raised to $50 courtesy of the sponsor kermatdi.com.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts