VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am a new member and am about to carry out a cambelt change on my wifes 2006 Seat Leon TDI. Seat quote 50,000miles service interval, this seems a very low interval!
Also you state the water pump should be replaced when the cambelt is replaced, why is this? Do the bearings fail and so you get a leak?
Lastly, you state a unique crankshaft locking tool is necessary for the cambelt replacement, I guess its to get the engine at TDC as well as to lock the crankshaft?

Many thanks for a great site.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know the correct interval for that engine but that does seem low.

Assuming it's like the VW engines, the water pump bearings can fail or the impeller can break off the shaft so that water doesn't move. It's also on the timing belt so it's impossible to change without the timing belt. Yes, the tools are not only to get the engine at TDC but the camshaft is very sensitive to timing changes.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

The interval is same as VW ;)

Seat Leon (05-) 1,9D TDI PD 2005-10

Timing belt - Renew Every 80000 miles or 48 months

Timing belt tensioner - Renew Every 160000 miles or 96 months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Keith,

I have a 2007 SEAT 1.9 TDI (BXE Engine). SEAT said that not only should I get the belt and tensioner done (its 4 years old), I should also change the waterpump (incase it fails).

Do VW state that only the belt is needed at 4 years? I assumed that they would all need the full kit with replacement tensioner and rollers etc?

Personally I would think the tensioner and water pump are safe to leave until 8 years, 80k miles, and replace the belt at 4 years. The tensioner and pump arent really going to age based on time (like the belt could) - I would think mileage is their primary cause of wear/deterioration?

TIA for any info.

Regards,
Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts