VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just introducing myself - just sold my 5 year old 2006 Honda Insight with 111,000 miles and purchased a Candy White, 2011 VW Golf 4dr TDI w/DSG, for $100 under dealer invoice. Have 1,500 miles so far without a single problem. Should I knock on wood??? Love the DSG, first automatic I've driven on a regular basis since I started driving 40 years ago. I learned to drive on an original VW beetle, but have not even ridden in a VW since that time - until now.

Good to be out of the rubber band hybrid, though I did get excellent mpg, 57 - 60, and 70+ on trips to the south. But my back was killing me as the seats were not supportive, and I truly missed driving a performance car - I've had a Miata and Merz 500SL in the past, so I know what a little get up an go feels like, and have had a taste of German engineering, though at a stiff price for the 1998 500SL I purchased new.

When I first drove the Golf, I felt like I was driving a pickup truck, as I felt so high off the ground compared with the Insight. Getting in the low 40 mpg's all around so far, not bad, but hoping for more as the diesel get's broken in.

Anyway, love what I see so far in the forum, and expect to do a lot of lurking at the messages, with an occasional post. Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The sad thing is that the little Golf is probably as solid and safe as your 500SL! Would you agree?

The safety on cars has really gone up since the mid 90s.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
104 Posts
With all that low end power, the golf probably feels 100x more powerful than the Insight! And you can fit 5 people in the car AND drive up a hill!:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure feels like it. It does feel very solid and the doors shutting give you the same quality sound and feel. And I've yet to see it even try to leave the road, I have some hilly roads that are 50 mph and most of my previous vehicles would start to leave the road, excepting the 500SL. My wife's Lexus sets off all kinds of warning lights when I travel across those hills too fast, but the Golf just sticks!

Of course, there are so many air bags, if anything catastrophic ever happens, I hope I don't suffocate :) Thanks for the reply, John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the mountains were definitely an issue after the batteries were used up, just had to get in the right lane and hope the 18 wheelers could see me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts