VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for allowing me to be part of the community.

since I have recently gotten out of sledding I no longer needed a big thirsty Silverado.
sold the truck and put some in my house fund.

never owning a diesel and under the impression all TDI's were created equal...
I bought myself a highly used 2006 5 SPD JETTA TDI.
(OBV should have did my homework first but hey I was excited 🤷‍♂️)

Little bit of a rabbit hole later, it is now EGR deleted, Just installed new Camshaft and lifter buckets.

new timing belt, water pump and pulleys. I now have myself a no start. I rolled the engine over multiple times by hand after the install, if a valve had touched a piston I feel like I would have known it by now? cranks and cranks, sounds decent but wont start. I'm convinced I'm just off on my timing. I have a local TDI tech coming to help me and reset my timing first of next week so I will update this post with the findings!

Other than that I fell in love with the car first thing, especially after the EGR delete. so much so I'm looking into the newer ones.

If you had to choose what year JETTA TDI is the BEST and WHY? absolutely has to be manual. that's 80% of the fun!

Looking forward to being here!.

Tanner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As promised I am posting a follow up with my findings!.

so turns out it was my timing. pretty hard in the retarded direction.( me an the car both eh 🤷🏼‍♂️) Got everything all set up with the crank and camshaft locks then the old girl fired right up.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I think you did well with the brm. Ive had 2 and a neighbor has one. I bought the 2nd one ro fix and sell. Ive worked on brm, cbea, and a 2015 tdi (forgot code). It has it's drawbacks like the cam issue that can be solved with a colt. Advantages are it's not an interference engine, does not have balance shafts, does not have the problematic cp4 pump. Mine does pretty good hopped up but the 5 speed trans are weak. Get a toolkit like metalnerd and it's hard to go wrong.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
We’re still on the road. Over 308K miles on our BRM. It’s time for a front and rear suspension refresh but still going.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We’re still on the road. Over 308K miles on our BRM. It’s time for a front and rear suspension refresh but still going.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you. 392000KM on my BRM. My concern is the body rotting out before the engine goes haha. Unfortunately I live in the rust belt but I’ll do my best to keep this one alive
for as long as possible! I scored a good Head with all the valves, injectors, fuel pump,THE VERY CLEAN TURBO and manifolds at a local pick an pull for $120 last weekend 😏.They are awesome little cars. Never had such a 💩 box that was so fun to drive. After I rigged an intake and boost guage that is 🤣👌🏼.
Automotive battery Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you did well with the brm. Ive had 2 and a neighbor has one. I bought the 2nd one ro fix and sell. Ive worked on brm, cbea, and a 2015 tdi (forgot code). It has it's drawbacks like the cam issue that can be solved with a colt. Advantages are it's not an interference engine, does not have balance shafts, does not have the problematic cp4 pump. Mine does pretty good hopped up but the 5 speed trans are weak. Get a toolkit like metalnerd and it's hard to go wrong.
I’m having a problem solving one last issue… If I try to drive easy, like barely on the throttle the turbo will build boost like crazy (20PSI) then it will drop boost very quickly to about 15PSI and there is a power surge… after letting it warm up in the morning that first pull through 1st gear… if it doesn’t do the surge it has no power and kind of starts to “diesel knock” until you let off and hit it… then power surge an it’s fine until you try to drive easy then turbo spikes occasionally. If you drive it around town somewhat aggressively its fine… but hold maybe 1/4 throttle… turbo spike followed by slight power surge… possible sticking turbo veins? Keep in mind my very first diesel and turbo’d engine so I’m learning as I go here haha. If you have any ideas though I would appreciate that 👌🏼🤙🏼

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Your next piece of the VW purchase is to get a Ross-Tech VCDS diagnostic Hardware/Software. While it seems spendy, by all accounts it’s not the cheapest thing out there. However, you get way more diagnostic capability and vehicle interface then anything else. I’m talking dealer level interface. You can’t get that kind of interface with the USA big three manufactures for less than thousands of dollars.
We have had a 2002 VW New Beetle TDI, 2006 VW Jetta TDI, and an 2011 Audi Q7 gasser. The software/ hardware works with all OBD-II VAG (Volkswagen, Audi Group) vehicles.

This should help with diagnosis of the Turbo system, which is controlled by the computer via electro vacuum actuator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any luck on the surging? Mine does the same thing, and I just put on a new turbo?!
Nothing yet unfortunately, I’ve just kind of been living with it and basing my driving style around it for the time being until I can get a VCDS.. I would also like to rebuild the spare turbo I have or possibly look at some upgrades in that department.
Did you replace turbo chasing this issue? Are you fully EGR deleted? Also when you replaced the turbo did you replace the electronic turbo actuator thing on top of the turbo? Or use the same one you had… I’m wondering if this is a possible cause.

I have my boost guage hooked up right off the turbo piping heading towards intercooler… when this big turbo spike in PSI happens it is obviously pressurizing the whole intercooler system straight up to the turbo but to me it feels like something is preventing it from making its way into the intake… followed by slight drop in PSI and power surge… I’m wondering what actually controls the air flow into the intake… I need to do more research I’ve just been busy with life and work haha.

If you have any findings please let me/us know.
I feel like this topic should have its own post kinda thing

·
Registered
6 Posts
No I bought the car not running. Put a colt stage 2 cam, timing belt, full egr delete, and water pump on. Fired it up and was smoking like crazy, took exhaust off and found turbo was bad. Replaced with factory new everything. Runs great just that surging, and can't get much better than 38 mpg, but I live in a very hilly area. Been messing with torsion value to try and get better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard that you should not use a cold air intake (CAI) setup that uses a filter element that uses a filter oil for particle capture on a TDI. The oil will mess up the mass air sensor and cause inaccurate readings. Hopefully you don't have the filter oil on your intake element.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heard that you should not use a cold air intake (CAI) setup that uses a filter element that uses a filter oil for particle capture on a TDI. The oil will mess up the mass air sensor and cause inaccurate readings. Hopefully you don't have the filter oil on your intake element.
It is a brand new Mass air sensor that was put in when it had stock intake, does the exact same thing with the cold air intake setup it just sounds alot better haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I bought the car not running. Put a colt stage 2 cam, timing belt, full egr delete, and water pump on. Fired it up and was smoking like crazy, took exhaust off and found turbo was bad. Replaced with factory new everything. Runs great just that surging, and can't get much better than 38 mpg, but I live in a very hilly area. Been messing with torsion value to try and get better.
are you set up with the VCDS? just curious how you're playing with the torsion value unless you're doing exactly that.. just a bump here and there. I did notice a small difference in fuel economy after the EGR delete but I noticed a small increase in power too. it was worth the trade off to me lol. I have to wonder if a vacuum line somewhere can be the cause of our problems... I see lots of write ups about over boosting and limp mode but nothing specific to our problem... do you have any open vacuum lines or ports anywhere?
The Intercooler is being pressurized no problem at all... it has to be something on the turbo intake side to the intake manifold not working properly...

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Advantages are it's not an interference engine .....
So what is your definition of an interference engine?

If the TB breaks while the engine is rotating, that little BRM will definitely let you know it's an interference engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey man stick with me on this one but I’m 98% convinced I have found the issue to our problems.
so after spending 2 days in this forum doing nothing but researching how the VNT turbo’s work on our car and after stumbling across the “zip tie” mod I was convinced this had to be the problem… you can look it up on this forum but you are going to be using a zip tie to limit the travel of what I’m calling “the turbo actuator rod”
It’s on the bottom of that big pod that sits on top of your turbo and has the vacuum line in it..

Our stop screw settings have to be off but they’re a real b**** to get at.
In my case I had to limit travel quite a bit.. it was very tight area… the zip tie slipped and I think I went just a little too far as I’m noticing a VERY VERY SMALL amount of turbo lag… BUT I spool a couple more PSI at WOT now and the car is 1000x more user friendly around town and on the highway it drives exactly the way it should now 🤌🏼 My final piece has come together. I hope this car sticks around for a bit as it’s a real blast to drive. Good luck my friend. I’ll be here if you need help with anything else

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I replaced the boost pressure valve on driver side firewall and it fixed my issue. I think it is called a n75 valve? My mileage went from 35 to 42 mpg!
I managed to find some time to swap out this N75 valve… so I did that and removed my zip tie. My problems were back in full force haha. Just curious but did you test your old N75 valve or just replace? It’s so funny how we can describe each other’s issues to a T but seems we have different causes haha. To bad one of them VNT turbo gods wouldn’t pop in here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts