VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bit the bullet and got a new Tdi, after researching and drooling since the MK 6 Tdi was announced in 2009 -- got a 2011 Golf DSG, Shark Blue, 4 door. Bounced back and forth between the Golf and a Sportwagen Tdi's. Had to go with the better suspension, etc, of the Golf. (Don't intend to start any arguments here<g>) Now @ 300 miles and put "my first" diesel fillup: 32 MPG first 300 miles, taking it easy, but a little SoCalif freeway driving.

To set things in perspective, my first brand new car purchase was a '65 VW Bug...wow, up to 68 hp that year. Recent vehicles have included a couple of track oriented cars that spent many fun-filled hours at Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, and Buttonwillow.

Happy Camper, so far.
-Chuck
Carlsbad, CA

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
68 hp? You decadent capitalist pig.... :D J/K

So what kind of track vehicles were these? As they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast!

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, what a decadent experience: 30 mpg @ $0.30/gal = $0.01/mile <g>

I agree about driving a "slow" car fast. Lotsa seat time in Miatas, but my 300 RWHP MR2 "The Arrogant Bastard" and borrowed M3's and various P cars kept a smile on my face.

Thanks for your work coordinating this group.
-Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah...just returned from 1200 mile trip in the new TDI. Great drive and happy owner.
Heavy pedal all the way. The MFD for last 500 miles shows: Avg MPG 41.3, Avg MPH = 68...which includes LA traffic. Nice cruise and easy passing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts