VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a 2006 Jetta TDI. I have always wanted a diesel. In the last three weeks, I have done quite a bit of work to this car. So far, I have:

-replaced the completely failed DMF (I've never seen something break and do so much damage...)
-replaced the DSG transmission
-performed the 40k service on the new transmission.
-adjusted the e-brakes so that they no longer grab while disengaged
-removed the EGR cooler and replaced the "bushing" with a custom bronze one
-purchased a micro-can and made a few VCDS tweaks (remote window control) :nana2:

I was looking for a good guide on how to replace the timing belt. My car is at ~110k and I doubt the belt has been changed. Better to be safe. Long story short, you guys have a great forum and the guides are top notch.

As a side note, I have seen a few websites that track VCDS owners, but none seem to be working. If there are any sites that do work, or some registry that is kept here, please point me in the right directions. I'm always willing to help. I'm in the St Louis area.

EDIT: I've read a couple other posts saying to check the cam and water pump. I'm going to be using a timing belt kit from BoraParts that includes pulleys, belts, pumps etc... As far as the cam, I have not checked it, but I dont have the funds to replace it at the moment if it is showing wear. [tangent] If anyone is looking for a timing kit, I would like to give BoraParts a huge thumbs up. Their kit was very comprehensive and at a great price. I ordered it on a Saturday night and got an email about an hour later saying it was already going out USPS priority and I would likely have it Monday. And the shipping was free! [/tangent]

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You can change the camshaft later if it does have wear as long as it isn't too bad. However, you will have to redo the timing belt timing. The motor mount doesn't have to be removed but the rest of the procedure has to be done at that time. Since it sounds like you have a good grasp of how to work on the car, it shouldn't be too much hassle. If you were paying someone else to do it, I would definitely do it at the same time.

TB how to: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/brm-VW-Jetta-TDI-timing-belt-replacement-1.htm

Also, there is a writeup contest for step-by-step DIY how to articles by members, the prize is currently a $50 e-gift certificate to kermatdi.com if you're interested in putting an entry in. Full rules/guidelines in the general forum. Plus, it will help many people. DSG replacement and fluid service were among the ones I was looking for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts