VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I found this site during an intense googling session.

I have a 2003 Golf TDi with an ATD engine and a few choice mods, 6 speed transmission, lowered 35mm, A8 replicas (aren't they always) Satin black grille, black backed FK headlamps, GTi rear lights etc etc.

As the ATD is only 100hp and shares all the mechanical parts with the 115hp motor I've bought an ECU from a 2000 Bora TDi AJM that has been remapped.

I've fitted it and the car starts and shuts down straight away due to the immo kicking in.

I've extracted the PIN using VAG tacho, but am unable to login to either the original ECU (The car starts and runs fine with this ECU fitted) or the new one using this PIN through VAG-COM 409 - I get the message saying login refused.

I have triple checked I have the correct PIN number be re-extracting it - VAG tacho can log in using the PIN, but VAG-COM won't

If anyone can offer any help it would be much appreciated, failing that I'd happily pay someone to code the new ECU in to the car.

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That should work. The only thing that I can think of is that it's related to vag-com 409. I will move this post to the VCDS section so that they can answer any questions regarding vag-com 409.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome.

Following some more good old fashioned googling I found out how to confirm if you are locked out of the instruments/ecu etc - go to 'instruments' then measuring block 024 - I patiently waited for the countdown to 0 - it gives a number, in minutes, of how long you need to wait with the ignition on/engine off until the lockout stops.

When I got to zero, I exited Vag-com and tried signing into the instruments using the PIN extracted with V/tacho, adding a leading zero as it's a 4 digit number - code not accepted again, went back to the measuring blocks to see if I really was locked out - yes, got another 20 minute sentence.

Bit of a head scratcher this, I'm starting to think I've got a dodgy cable as I had 'too many communication errors to continue' when using the AJM ecu - I've even tried pulling the headunit (after market Alpine) and replacing the stock radio as I've heard they can cause issues on the K-line - to no avail - I've got another cable coming to check this theory out, I've also bought a Galletto cable, and eeprom reader/flasher too so I can read what's in the 24c04 chip inside the ECU's (which I believe is the immo part of the ECU)

Once I've worked out how to sign in to the car using the pin I will progress onto virginising the AJM ecu and trying to add it as a new ecu.

If nothing else it's all a good learning curve, I don't mean to be teaching grandmothers to suck eggs with my post, but thought I'd put my findings all in here in case some poor soul needs the info all in the one place.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I've just been out to the car, I tried signing in again and the code was not accepted, so I did the measuring block 24 thing and watched the countdown to zero, tried logging in again and locked myself out - I then turned ignition off and back on, did the block 24 countdown and then turned off the ignition, turned it back on WITHOUT trying to log in - it's locked again for another 20 minutes... very strange indeed.

The car has Bosch RB8 clocks, which are known to be touchy, but I'm not sure they're meant to be THIS touchy.

I've pulled the pin numerous times, I always get the same result 8886 - which I've been entering as 08886 as vag-com 409 and VCDS lite force a 5 digit number.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

I've no idea what to suggest due to a lack of knowledge but it sounds interesting all the same, hopefully you'll get it sorted out soon though.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been tinkering with this all week and have found why the login code wasn't being accepted.....

V [email protected] doesn't seem to like RB8 clocks, well it certainly doesn't like mine.

Using a budget K Can cable and some software V1.4 I got a completely different PIN, once the countdown timer has expired I can sucessfully login with the new PIN number 01126.

All I can assume is that V [email protected] reads a specific address for values and presents what ever is at that address in decimal number.

Using the software above I dumped the complete eeprom and the software gives the PIN based on this dump - so that's step one out of the way.

That should work. The only thing that I can think of is that it's related to vag-com 409. I will move this post to the VCDS section so that they can answer any questions regarding vag-com 409.
Hi, thanks for moving the post, I got a little carried away with my introduction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts