VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am currently installing a new head on my 03 ALH Jetta. I received the new head and all of the associated parts, but I have come against an issue I can find no reference to.

On the left side of the head (opposite the timing assembly), more or less next to where the coolant sensor plugs in, there is supposed to be a fitting attached to the head. The hole in the head is smooth bore, so my assumption is its a press fit. What is the recommended method for getting the fitting into the bore?

I wish I could be more descriptive, but I can't find any reference anywhere about, and I forgot to chase the other lines out before leaving the shop to properly identify the system its part of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Karl

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I would try pushing it in with something with a flat surface but you'll need to find out if it needs to be coated with some sort of sealant first.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried pushing it in, and even with a bit of coersion, but to no avail. Even tried putting the fitting in the freezer for a bit to try to shrink it.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
That does sound tight, what about tapping it with a piece of hard wood or putting a piece of hard wood on it and tapping the wood with a hammer? You'll just have to go carefully and keep an eye on it.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
You could also try rubbing the end down a little with smooth wet and dry sand paper and water, just the last little bit at the end so that you can get it started, nothing to rough though and just try a bit at a time. I don't know how they do it in the shop but I imagine it involves an expensive piece of machinery lol, we just have to do what we can with what we have though and be a bit more inventive.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts