VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm a new guy here. been a long time since I had a VW.
I recently bought a 04 Passat TDI wagon.
It's got 180k miles runs good, body's good.
Bummer is the trans is slipping when it shifts,
So whats the consensus? . . . rebuild or replace?
I do most of my own auto repairs, built some engines in my day so I'm not afraid of much in that respect.
I'm even wondering how hard it is to swap in a manual trans?
For me it's all about the MPG, if I could put a stick in it and pick up a few MPG I would consider it.
Now I'm getting about 34 average on the highway, I don't know if that's good or bad for this car. But I'd hoped for better . . .
Any feedback would help.
Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've seen a few swaps for manual boxes on the tdiclub site but they are a reasonable amount of work by the looks of it but I've also read somewhere about someone doing some kind of flushing of their auto box and I think that cured the problem, I don't know if there's anything in the faq about it, it might be worth a search.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I looked at a manual swap for the Passat but it's a big project, more than most. The main reason why is because there was never a longitudinal engine sold that will fit the 4 cylinder Passat TDI engine with the right gear ratios in North America. http://www.advancedautomotion.com/product_info.php?products_id=29 Here is a transmission that I believe, will work but at $3000 just for the trans plus other parts from a wreck, you're probably looking at around $4000 + labor. After you sell the old parts you're still not really ahead vs. repairing what you have. The torque converter could be bad? Any error codes?

Plus, the pedal assembly is drive by wire but there was no Passat TDI sold with manual transmission so you'd have to add a clutch pedal or add the accelerator pedal to a gasser pedal assembly.

Or you could import everything. Someone swapped a full 4motion setup into a US spec Audi A4 chassis but they had EVERYTHING.

FYI, I can get about 39 -40 mpg highway if I'm trying w/light load. Driving faster really adds drag and lowers mpg.

Also, since this is a little more than a quick intro, post moved to mk4 section and edited thread title.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi all,
I'm a new guy here. been a long time since I had a VW.
I recently bought a 04 Passat TDI wagon.
It's got 180k miles runs good, body's good.
Bummer is the trans is slipping when it shifts,
So whats the consensus? . . . rebuild or replace?
I do most of my own auto repairs, built some engines in my day so I'm not afraid of much in that respect.
I'm even wondering how hard it is to swap in a manual trans?
For me it's all about the MPG, if I could put a stick in it and pick up a few MPG I would consider it.
Now I'm getting about 34 average on the highway, I don't know if that's good or bad for this car. But I'd hoped for better . . .
Any feedback would help.
Thanks, Bill
Do you know if the transmission fluid was ever changed? When does it slip? Does it slip in all gears? At what rpms does it slip? Does it slip in tiptronic mode? Does the torque converter lock-up?

A fluid change and perhaps a treatment of Auto-Rx is a lot cheaper than a transmission swap and may solve the problem. I'd drain a bit of fluid and examine it. From VAG:

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Try to search out some examples of oil pump chain noise - there are a couple on youtube...

You don't want the tensioner to let go... that turns an $1800 repair into a $9000 repair...

Good luck,

Yuri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts