VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have an 01 Jetta TDI that I have put quite a bit of work into. Not in the form of mods, but to keep it on the road. It's at 185,000 miles and I 've put in 2 timing belt kits and changed it from auto to manual. I guess I'm about to put in my third timing belt. The present one has about 50,000 miles but I here a squeek squeek squeek at idle. I took the upper timing cover off and I see the timing belt seems to have a spot in it that coincides with the noise. Looks like maybe it was made with a little offset where the ends were put together. Maybe it would run fine for the full 100,000 but that noise really bothers me. What do you think? When I did the first belt change the 100,000 mile kits were not available, but the second one included the big roller and the newer belt.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Other things that can go squeak - the tensioner, the serpentine belt tensioner, the alternator pulley's clutch. Before removing the timing belt I would check the other stuff, maybe the squeaking spot is a coincidence? Since you put in the new rollers it should be OK barring some defect or damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that

I gave all that some thought. My alternator is probably a little weak, voltage is about 13.5 at idle. The pulley seems to be working like it should though. I was able to silence the noise by pushing a round screwdriver against the side of the timing belt while it was running. The belt doesn't show any bad wear signs, it just appears to be a defect. I really don't want to have to redo the head but I would certainly like to get my moneys worth out of the timing belt kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts