VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, looks like I may need a new pump. I found that it is leaking, I was told it might need to be replaced or resealed, can I just stop the leaks?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
You can just replace the seals if it's leaking. Talk to your mechanic and find out why he is saying new pump. Most of the time you don't and the dealer is not authorized/trained/ignorant of what is inside the pump. They always just say replace. Leaks look like streaking down the side and you'll see it. Are you using biodiesel?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
There is a DIY on replacing the IP seals and the seal I believe is like between $8.00-10.00, check out diesel geek web site, they have the how to there too. Avoid changing the pump, that is plain rip off.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Assume you have an ALH engine, 1998-2003? 90% of the time, it's not a bad pump, you can usually replace the seals on the car. The section with the black electrical plug should not be removed or adjusted without the proper tools or a vag-com since it is highly sensitive to adjustments. Unless there is some reason the mechanic said the pump was bad, this is usually not the case.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just what I am told, I don't know how to do it myself and would have to take it to someone. I've been doing some search, will report back.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been searching tdiclub too, the pics that I've seen look like a leak. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks like I have to take care of it soon as well.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Good to hear. Most of the time with a big repair, it's worth searching the internet for free advice. Most of the time, someone else will have had it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts