VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new guy here .Came to the forum looking to find answers to my issue with my 09 jetta sportwagon.
Its throwing a code..vag com p048c-000 sensor exaust flap implausible signal 001164..??
So i registered and am going to try out this forums search function.

hi all

thanks

fred

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I read something about that not long ago too but I've no idea where or what it was now so that's a bit of useless info for you lol.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks LOL I have actually made some headway here and the code refers to an exhaust flap
motor that closes off the exahust for the egr and dpf to heat up for regen.
The spring and rod are apparently exposed to the elements (i live in vt i know what our elements do to cars..lol) they seize up and the sensor throws a code. I have reset it with my vag-com but it comes back.cheap fix is to lubricate it and try to free it up.expensive fix is replacement 400 for part 400 for dealer labor $800 jaw drops...another great vw design..:annoyed

·
Super Moderator
9,577 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

EOBD II Error Code: P048C

Fault Location:
Exhaust gas control actuator position sensor/switch - circuit range/performance

Possible Cause:
Wiring.
Exhaust gas control actuator position sensor.
Engine control module (ECM).

I don't know if you've tried this already?

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks keithuk..I have not tried anything yet other than to clear the dtc and watch it come back again.
Are you saying it could also be wiring like a sensor wire or the wire to the motor?? Makes sense too.
I was going to block it up on thursday and give it a good look see..

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the car up on blocks and crawled under it on Thursday.
I found some dry lube and gave the spring assembly a good dousing.
I was able to move the wheel back and forth and get it to turn about a 1/4 turn each way.
Not sure if this is the limit of movement for this unit or not,After a few repeats of this it stopped complaining and seemed to move more freely.So i cleared the dtc and took the car on about a forty min drive and about 35 min into it the CEL came back on.When I got home i cleared it again and it has not come back since.
About 100 miles now....More news at 11.:D

This is what it looks like..

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
got the 048 code with a CEL again. the first time I had the dealer remove the valve , clean it and lube...that lasted 6 months. I`ll do the job myself this time; just got to get the car up high enough safely to work on it. It drives fine with the valve stuck open.

Ted

·
Super Moderator
9,577 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ted. welcometomyturbodies

got the 048 code with a CEL again.
That 048 code is abit short what showed that number?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
well, did the job on the exhaust flapper valve today. I was going to have it done at the dealership ( they removed and lubed it about 6 mos ago but I couldn`t get in there until late next week, so fearing a clogged DPF I got to it. The big issue is the jacking up of the car..... safely , I used ramps, and getting at it wasn,t that bad from the passenger side. The electrical connector comes off easily with a slotted screw driver then the 2 clamps come off with a 5mm hex. The clamps were pretty tight on the flared exhaust but a gentle tap with the screwdriver and a light hammer did the trick. A bit of wiggling later and the assembly was out. It was jammed open and actually pretty clean. Lots of PB blaster later, it was moving OK but still stiff from turning the motor.
Re- assembly was not bad, I placed the clamps onto the exhaust pipes and held the rear one tight with a needle nose vise grip and slipped the clamp on. ( watch for the thin washers/seals on the ends of the exhaust pipe...there is a notch there for correct fit). then the forward clamp was installed as well as the electric connector and it,s protective covering.
I fired her up and after 2 starts the CEL went out.
We'll see how long this lasts...probably a regular item to lube with each oil change.

Ted

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Didn't take you all that long to start monkeying around with this car... about time!!!

In case you want it scanned (my VCDS cable is CAN enabled), I'll see if I can drop in next time I'm in the neighborhood...

Cheers,

Yuri

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
flapper valve

Thanks Yuri.
I had to do the flapper valve again a week or so ago. I'm getting good at it. The hardest part is jacking the car up safely to get at it. Has anyone got any ideas on lubricating the valve with something that will last longer than a few months? I just sprayed with "PB Blaster" and worked it until it didn't seem to get any less resistance.
Maybe soaking the valve portion of the assembly for a while in something? Any ideas? Has anyone tried something different?

Meanwhile it's not that big a deal to remove and loosen the valve. A new valve assembly is $300...yikes..

Ted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts