VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were a few issues accumulating so I overwrote the old forum software with the latest stable version. I don't know if it was related to the massive s p a m attack yesterday but I changed some things that should help stop that. I had to buy a new software license because they stopped selling upgrades. If there are any problems related to the new forum software, please post in this thread. This thread will be moved to the "site comments" subforum later.

Functionally and aesthetically it's the same but it should have better search performance amongst other features that are not visible. One feature is when you hold the mouse over an attached thumbnail picture it now has a "previous/next" bar at the bottom for easier viewing. Another is the "bookmarks" at the bottom of the thread. Clicking any of these will refer the forum thread to digg, deli.icio.us, stumbleupon, or google, or others to be added later. You must have an account with these 3rd party websites to refer the thread.

As a site note, I am slowly adding google search to each "how to" FAQ page since there was previously no way to search the FAQ.

There are also social bookmarks at the bottom of the page. If you are a member of digg, del.icio.us, stubleupon, facebook, twitter, or google bookmarks, you can "bookmark" or recommend a page by sharing it with others by clicking on the links at the bottom of the page.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The old threads should be redirected to the new locations. It appears to be working for me. PM sent.

There's also a facebook "like this" button under the first post on every page. I'm trying to figure out how to move it to the top of the page.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a new custom looks to the forum to make sure people can clearly tell the difference between this forum and other forums. I've actually gotten support questions for other forums so this should let people know where they are.

Some of the improvements: the buttons now have more text on them. One example is the multiquote button "MQuote". I'm not sure if people understood what it was and the new button should make it more clear. The quick reply button now says "Q-Reply". Before these buttons had no labels.

If you don't like the new forum look, you can always change back to the default style by selecting "Default style" in the Quick style choose drop down menu at the bottom left corner of the screen.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The buttons have been edited to have bigger, outlined text. This should make using the forum easier. If anyone has missing buttons, just refresh the page and they should come up.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A more interactive facebook "like" button has been added to the top of the forum pages. You can now add a comment when you post it to your facebook profile.

Also, all forum FAQ pages have a new look with the facebook "like" button added. I wanted to keep the pages bare with just pure content but the number of people who attributed the content to other sites or wasn't aware this was a separate site was ridiculous so I added a logo and a little menu decoration.

Also, someone asked if the pages could have a search bar but they already had one at the bottom. Since a lot of people ignore the bottom of the page, an additional search bar has been added to the top right of the screen.

If anyone sees bugs in these functionality or errors in the page layout, please report. I don't use a template system so I had to hand change hundreds of pages which took a few days. There might be a mistake somewhere due to my hands falling off.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I added extra wide luxury box reply boxes. This should make it easier to input your message and read it while typing.

When starting a new thread, replying to a thread, or quick reply, the text input boxes are now extra wide.

If anyone sees a bug in how it looks, please report. The smilies box is hanging off to the side if you resize your screen to a small size but there's no way to fix it the way it's set up.

As always, you can still make the box taller by clicking the box height window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts