VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

New Engine for my beloved 2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)

10K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  dcsastry 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I stupidly never replaced my cam shaft and followers in my 2006 Jetta TDI MkV (BRM), even after getting it up to 255,000 miles. And so of course the cam failed and the engine started complaining loudly.

I looked into getting a new cam shaft and cylinder head only, but I decided to replace the whole dang engine. Found an engine in a totaled 2006 Jetta TDI with only 130K miles for $1500, so I am going to drop that into my Jetta but I am also going to replace the cam and cylinder head at the get-go. Hopefully I can take this bad boy another 245,000 miles.

My ultimate goal is to get to 500K miles! I have been running only 95%-99% renewable diesel now for several years, mileage is still great.

#7 ·
I've got some updated pics from a week ago, I went by the shop as they had my old engine out:

This the cam shaft (cover removed). Damage is not obvious, but one of the valves is poking up through one of the followers which completely wore out.

Here is a view of the engine compartment (from below):

Here is the new engine, waiting for components to be swapped over. New timing belt was already installed:

#10 · (Edited)
So I got my car back this week!!!! Finally after many, many days away from home. Almost 3 months away from daddy, she is back home safe and sound.

I had the shop replace all the connection hoses, timing belt, the wiring harness on the engine (that has the glow plugs, etc.), radiator. It took a long time because getting parts was not easy, the garage kept getting the wrong parts from their suppliers.

I am running her very gently, and no issues so far! Engine seems to be working well, doesn't feel any different than before. Sounds almost the same to me as my previous engine. I'll drive her for a week or two before pushing the engine a bit harder.

One problem I am having is replacing the plenum chamber cover, which seems to be a hard part to find. If anyone has a source, let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.