VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Jetta tdi Brm. I just replaced the cam and lifters and timing kit. The car just cranks but won’t start. It started for a second off of starting fluid. I took the return hose off and turn the key on multiple times to bleed the air out. I only got air on the first cycle. Any ideas why it’s no starting?? Please help thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Jetta tdi Brm. I just replaced the cam and lifters and timing kit. The car just cranks but won’t start. It started for a second off of starting fluid. I took the mreturn hose off and turn the key on multiple times to bleed the air out. I only got air on the first cycle. Any ideas why it’s no starting?? Please help thanks.
I just changed my camshaft. Took off the hp fuel pump as well as I had pulled the head. I didn’t bleed any fuel lines after putting it back together. It took for ever to start. Had a battery charger on it and turned it over for 10-20s at least 10x through the afternoon. Later in the evening I turned it over for 30s and it finally started!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed my camshaft. Took off the hp fuel pump as well as I had pulled the head. I didn’t bleed any fuel lines after putting it back together. It took for ever to start. Had a battery charger on it and turned it over for 10-20s at least 10x through the afternoon. Later in the evening I turned it over for 30s and it finally started!
I’m going to try and start it again tomorrow. I didn’t bleed the fuel system correctly the first time.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking for a 2006 Polo cam kit for mine here in Australia.
I’m sure everyone will disagree with buying a cheap camshaft set but check out Wolfsburg tuning. They are on eBay also. I did a lot of research on them and found a lot of good reviews on there parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Jetta tdi Brm. I just replaced the cam and lifters and timing kit. The car just cranks but won’t start. It started for a second off of starting fluid. I took the return hose off and turn the key on multiple times to bleed the air out. I only got air on the first cycle. Any ideas why it’s no starting?? Please help thanks.
Sometimes it can take forever to prime the injection pump. I have worked for days and when about ready to give up it suddenly will start. Good Luck. Hope thats all it is.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
When I did my camshaft replacement, the first start was quite long. I will say that I did change my fuel filter and oil filter at that time and totally emptied and cleaned the fuel filter canister, So it was bone dry. With my battery charger hooked up, I disconnected the fuel return line, at the fuel filter canister, and had my wife cycle the key on and off. I did this several times (like 15-20 times with an empty canister) to get the in-tank pump to move fuel up to and fill the fuel filter canister. Once I got fuel out of the fuel return hose from the tandem pump to the fuel filter canister, I reconnected the hose and a couple of starter revolutions it started up. Rough idled for 10-15 seconds, air bleeding off, then she ran fine.
In summary, make sure your getting fuel from the tank to the fuel filter canister first. Then check for return fuel from the tandem pump back to the fuel filter canister. With your BRM able to start on starting fluid, you know you have a fueling problem, likely a bunch of air in the system that needs bled out. Stick with it, you will get it running.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
If your asking if it needs to be clocked, like the camshaft, no. Doesn’t matter what clock position it’s in, as long as the tab and slot are lined up. Make sure your in-tank fuel pump is working and your fuel filter canister is full of fuel. You can cheat and fill the canister with fuel from a fuel can. This won’t isolate a tank to fuel filter problem.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your asking if it needs to be clocked, like the camshaft, no. Doesn’t matter what clock position it’s in, as long as the tab and slot are lined up. Make sure your in-tank fuel pump is working and your fuel filter canister is full of fuel. You can cheat and fill the canister with fuel from a fuel can. This won’t isolate a tank to fuel filter problem.
The filter canister is full. I tried removing the return hose and priming it that way. When I turned the key on I’m only getting a little drizzle from the return hose.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
The return fuel isn’t going to be strong, until the the engine is running. If your getting fuel out of the return from the tandem pump, the part from the tank to the tandem pump is working. It doesn’t confirm the tandem pump is working. With the fuel flow, have you considered replacing the fuel filter? Or how long it’s been since last changed? 20K miles is the service interval.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The return fuel isn’t going to be strong, until the the engine is running. If your getting fuel out of the return from the tandem pump, the part from the tank to the tandem pump is working. It doesn’t confirm the tandem pump is working.
It worked before the cam replacement. Do you think I should just remove the tandem pump and reinstall to make sure everything is right. Or what step do you recommend next? I’m new to diesels, especially VW. Sorry for all the questions. And thank you for quick responses

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Diesel basics: fuel, air and compression. Ran before cam change? My first guess is it’s out of time 180°. I would recheck that all the timing pins line up, exactly. After a timing belt change, and camshaft in your case, you should pull all the timing pins, rotate the crankshaft at least two full turns and reinstall all the pins again and they should line up, exactly without any adjustments. If not, you need to readjust the timing belt settings until your spot on. It sucks you have to go back in. I get it. But your not going anywhere, and the process of elimination is the best way to trouble shoot. You have fuel. But you haven’t touched much in that system. So you have to recheck everything you physically touched is lined up, connected etc.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diesel basics: fuel, air and compression. Ran before cam change? My first guess is it’s out of time 180°. I would recheck that all the timing pins line up, exactly.
[/QUOTE
I will check again. I checked already and they line up like they should. But I will check again because I don’t know any other options.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Ok so you checked the pins. What else did you physically touch? Tandem pump, electrical connections? And now it’s time to connect your VAG-COM and run VCDS.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so you checked the pins. What else did you physically touch? Tandem pump, electrical connections? And now it’s time to connect your VAG-COM and run VCDS.
I took the tandem pump off. Electrical wise I didn’t unplug much. The throttle body but it’s plugged in. I don’t know anything about vag-com. I’ll do the research on that now

1 - 20 of 30 Posts