VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone, Sorry it took me this long to become a member if you're in the Northeast take it slow in the snow, in WA we have only rain/////:dunno

2004.5 Passat TDI, only 91K miles and babying her always. Started in 2000 with a Jetta TDi and traded up to a gas wagon due to children, and went right back and got this baby on the lot in Jul 04,
I was looking for a better thread to post, I am a hurting unit. Been using this site for personal gain and feel so bad for years. Now I'm here begging. But from here on I am contributing

Heard a slight idle noise a few months back, got back from overseas and engine was a rough start, 2 oil changes and thought not bad, but could be the Balance shaft going bad, took it for the oil change on Friday and asked the dealer to take a look and give me an opinion.... 2 hrs later, "Don't think its the Balance Shaft, need to open the valve cover to get a look"....blah blah blah and today they finally get to it after 4 calls back and I get ..........a this and this and oh by the way VW recommends new head and since you haven't done the Timing Belt yet..... $6400.00 WOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Break down, my # 2 valve shows slight wear on 2 lifters, some metal in the oil, cams were good with normal wear....... a rip off I know.... but I still think this was a balance shaft that is slowly wearing and they want the cash now for a non contributing issue.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IMHO, if you do the timing belt, do the balance shaft at the same time. It's expensive but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time it's a good investment. Can it run longer? Yes but how long is unknown.

If there's some wear on the lifters, it's from the camshaft....do they have any pictures to show you? If you do the timing belt you might as well do the camshaft as well.....yes the repair bill is stacking up but obviously it's going to be most expensive at the dealer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts