VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Folks:

I have lurked here for some time. The information is wonderful and I have learned much. I am not a mechanic of cars but do have basic understanding of mechanics. I put my own timing belts on the steel block oldies.

Have owned diesels from 77rabit 79 Dasher 90 Jetta (256K then retired it) 04 Jetta wagon.

I do not know the engine and trans I have. Yes the engine is 2.0 TDI, but strange. Here is what perplexes me. Needed a starter. Simple install as on MY Jetta, it is Not on any bell housing. It is on the top of the transmission held in by two bolts. It is made by Hitachi. I ordered four wrong starters, could not find one like it, and finally went to dealer who ordered one of the two existing in the North American Continent. I have yet to come across a picture of my car on any forum. I have a tip tronic automatic.

It's good to have joined finally. Yes I have other questions coming. LOL DL

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hmm.....how do you know the engine is a 2.0L TDI. The 2004 VW Jetta wagon TDI should have been a 1.9L pumpe duse BEW code engine.

Can you open the driver's side door and see what information is there? It should have a build date and assembly, it might have a clue to your car's ID.

Can you look at the timing belt cover and see what info is there? It may have an engine code there.

Pics of the engine cover and the valve cover would also help identify the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you CCBB for your quick reply. I love diesels but this one I would NEVER put my own timing belt on.

On the door sill, 9-03 and vin is wvwsr61j04w03928

On the timing belt cover (other than all German) 23-08-03 (I assume engine build) and BEW 003 558 so I assume I was wrong (been wrong before) and it is 1.9. Never saw a starter or the fact that one does not go through the bell housing to the flywheel like any normal Ford. LOL. Four bolts gets this starter off with whole assembly and solonoid. Only two bolts hold it to the trans. DL

EDIT: Additional info is the oil filler is on the right offset to rear, has cartridge oil filter, and looks like some of the pics on this site. I understand the newer ones have the filler on the left side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question: I have 176K and I read here that this transmission requires change of oil about every 40K. My dealer when asked how I check the trans oil, he told me I didn't and it was a lifetime and sealed unit. I doubted it then and this forum makes me doubt it more. Seeing that my car is a little "different" of anything I have seen in pics here, I just don't know. DL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
You have the regular auto, not the DSG which needs oil changes every 40k. It's not sealed:http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/atf-fluid-drain.htm

Also, your engine is definitely a 1.9L BEW engine. It says so on the engine timing belt cover.
Thank you ben. I have an auxiliary right side tip for H and L or + -. I thought I was told it was a Tiptronic or the like. I never use it. I just use good ole' D. So is it true, I don't have to worry about it's oil? Yes I did check and it is a BEW. Thanks. DL

EDIT: Never mind, I read the link. I agree. VW is very proud of the price of everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts