VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have 2001 tdi and doing a timing belt change. Also was cleaning the intake manifold and some of the crap fell into the cylinder. These engines do not take much debris to lock them up. So, you guessed it, I couldn't suck it out so off came the head. The machine shop said the valve guides were worn anyway, so I guess it is for the best. Just trying to get to the members only part of the timing belt change to get the updated torque on the cam sprocket. Factory is 45 nm, but I remember hearing something about putting a little extra torque to prevent slipping. Great site for sure. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! Yes, I would use a little higher, around 40 lb-ft. You may even go up to 45 and it shouldn't hurt anything assuming your torque wrench is accurate.

Also check out the ALH head removal article. Make sure you use the correct thickness head gasket.

FYI, if you remove the camshaft or turn it so that the valves on that cylinder are closed, it can prevent any carbon chunks from falling into the engine.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Making sure the valves were closed before cleaning the specific cylinder is smart. I'll do that next time. Still not sure if I knocked some of it in when I removed the manifold. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts