VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at my dealer today to pick up a 2.5 gallon jug of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid aka AdBlue. The Parts Counter guy told me there is now a new tool available for consumers to make AdBlue additions using the larger 2.5 gallon jug which does not have the correct fittings to connect directly to the AdBlue port.

I was in a hurry and did not have the time to get details; but it looks like Audi is trying to make the AdBlue additions more consumer friendly. I'll try to stop by again in the next couple of days to see if I can find out more info on this.:nana2:

·
Registered
220 Posts
How does ADblue fluid smell if you spill it on your hands? Is it better or worse than diesel fuel stink :D? I always use the paper towels at the gas station to avoid that. I don't know who is using the fuel pumps before me but it seems like there's always at least a 25% chance of the handle being wet.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does ADblue fluid smell if you spill it on your hands? Is it better or worse than diesel fuel stink :D? I always use the paper towels at the gas station to avoid that. I don't know who is using the fuel pumps before me but it seems like there's always at least a 25% chance of the handle being wet.
It has no real smell and rinses right off. It's a water solution. No comparison at all to diesel fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adding Ad Blue

In a 2010 Touareg TDI can I just stick a funnel in the AD Blue Hole and pour the fluid from the 2.5 gallon bottle?? Or is there some valve tripped by the push-in bottle?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In a 2010 Touareg TDI can I just stick a funnel in the AD Blue Hole and pour the fluid from the 2.5 gallon bottle?? Or is there some valve tripped by the push-in bottle?
The valve is in the push-in 2 liter bottle and prevents overflow and spillage of a fairly corrosive solution when the tank is full. A funnel will work, but you get no real advance notice of when the tank is full; so you'll almost certainly get some overflow slop.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
False Alarm

I stopped at the dealer today to take a look at this "new consumer tool" for AdBlue additions.

It's NOT for AdBlue additions.

What the parts guy thought was a tool for AdBlue is indeed the diesel fill adapter - exactly like the BMW adapter (pictured) - to allow diesel filling of the car, if the pump nozzle is of the wrong size.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a small battery powered fuel transfer pump to fill my AD Blue and manage to spill very little. What I do spill goes direct onto the garage floor so put a small bucket underneath to prevent the clean up afterwards.
The 2 1/2gal Peak DEF fluid that I bought the other day has a flex hose connector but it will not shut off at FULL so you will make a big mess.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Go to your local "Harbor Freight" and get the cheap boxes of gloves. Throw them in the trunk and you will never have that diesel smell on your hand again. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
During the recent 15,000 mile service I was able to watch how the tech filled the AdBlue tank. On the Cayenne the fill port is under the spare tire. The tech rotated the spare so a funnel would pass through the spokes on the spare. He then used a flash light to monitor the level in the AdBlue tank. The car took its usual 2.5 gallons of AdBlue after 5,000 miles. After reinstalling the AdBlue tank cap he flushed the area below the spare with water where previous servicing had spilled some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts