VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

New 2014 VW Sportwagen owner from San Antonio

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Fil S. 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and new to Diesels. Purchased my 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI about eight months ago. Although I expected to see better gas mileage (trip to Grand Canyon) I still love this vehicle. I look forward to participating on the site and maybe corresponding with some of you. I am a retired Naval Officer with plenty of time for travel in my TDI and also plenty of time to tinker with it. Great to be here!

#6 ·
I got 4-5%. How you drive also makes a huge difference. For example I drove to AZ from WA last spring and the way down I stayed on interstates that were 80mph and saw the 4-5%. On the way back I did a lot of sight seeing on 55mph back roads and it was more like a 15% increase. I also added the DSG tune to mine shortly after because I hated the hesitation the car had starting out often.

#8 ·
Oops sorry about that. Installation is super easy. They send you a little handheld unit and cord that connects it to your OBD2 port along with instructions. It takes about 5 minutes to download the current program from your ECU, then you email it back to them. Depending on when you send it to them you will get your new program the same day and it takes about 10 minutes to load the new program onto the ECU. It's all very easy, simple to follow instructions and the nice thing is you store your old tune on the unit so if you ever want to sell the car in a state where the modification isn't allowed you can just put the factory tune back on it.

Now I will tell you when I loaded the new tune I had an antiskid/traction control light come on but after I drove the car 30 feet or so it went away and I've had no problems since (2+ years). I don't know if your car is an automatic or manual but the reason I also got the transmission tune is because the new engine tune gives you so much more power and torque that I was constantly spinning tires when I didn't want to. I am not an aggressive driver at all but the DSG on these has a tendancy to hesitate when you first start out from a stop, and if you push the pedal down more to get it going, when it does kick in it just spins the tires like mad. The new engine tune made that issue worse and the transmission tune got rid of it.

I think you will like the tune. It makes a night and day difference in power so the car works less hard and gets better MPG as a result.

#9 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

This forum has been down for 2 days.

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.