VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi from a new VW owner and a new member.

As I researched my purchase, this site offered the best detail and technical information about the VW TDI. Information I found here helped me make my decision to buy. I finally pulled the trigger and traded my 07 Honda Civic SI (sweet ride and loads of fun to drive), 28-30 mpg city and 34-37mpg on the road, doing speed limit plus 5.

I have just put my first 1000 miles on the JSW, and am mostly happy with my decision. 44.2 mpg on the Number 2 average indicator since new. I love the tech behind the TDI, the fit and finish are OK, love the gadgets, (I have the telephone interface, am still trying to decipher the manual, (worst I have ever seen!)), I like the potential longevity of the motor and the slight decrease in fuel cost per mile. I'm a little scared of the systems and the potential cost to maintain the car long term. (120k mile DPF replacement? $$?)

I'm sure I will have questions and hope I can help answer some as I become more familiar.

As background, my family has had 3 Honda Hybrids since 2000, and we have had incredible results with them. The only Hybrid left is my wifes 03 Civic Hyb, MT with over 120k on it, and she consistently gets 53-57mpg, (mid winter down to 44-49mpg). Doesn't matter if shes driving suburban or over the road. We live near Chicago and the driving is always challenging.

If I was concerned only about gas mileage, I would have purchased another Hybrid. For now, I am enjoying the ride and the new feel of the Diesel.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
LOL, yes, the manual has gotten many complaints bout it. 120k DPF check, not replacement. Who knows how long it will really last with north american fuel and average drivers. At worst, it needs to be removed and cleaned.

Thanks for the intro and welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
52 Posts
Were all your hybrids civic hybrids? I've seen a few accord hybrids here and there but not many Honda hybrids at all compared to the Prius.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats on the new JSW, I purchased mine back in February. I appears we are from the same area so if you see a silver one it may be me. I am also new to VW/diesel and with a 120 mile roundtrip commute I really appreciate the mid 40s mpg I average:D. The car is also fun to drive,handles well and the interior is pretty nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
An answer for BEN06. Yes, all of our Hybrids have been Honda's. 1 was a 2000 Insight, I put 80k miles on it with a lifetime average mpg of 64.5. It was the small 2 seater with the covers over the rear wheels. I did like that car alot, but someone made me a great offer of almost 2 times book value, and I sold it.

Our other Hybrids were/are Civics. The 03 I mentioned earlier, and my daughter had an 04 Civic Hybrid CVT. It did not get as good mileage as the MT. It was always about 6-10 mpg less than the MT Civic.

You will not see Civic Hybrids standing out like the Prius. They look like any other Civic except for badging, antenna placement and some minor cosmetic differences. I like Honda's approach to the Hybrid concept over Toyotas. The Honda is simply a regular car, engine and trans like we all know. The engine is optimized for high mpg cruising and a small electric motor/generator is sandwiched on the output side of the crank adding HP when needed, generating power to recharge and slow down when you take your foot off the gas, and allowing the engine to stop when you are stopped at a light. IF THE BATTERY PACK FAILS OR DISCHARGES FOR ANY REASON, YOU CAN STILL DRIVE THE CAR NORMALLY. It has a backup automotive battery to start the motor if necessary.

Now I am hoping to get some good service out of my new 11 JSW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts