VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000 beetle 1.8t with a non working instrument cluster about 2 weeks ago. I went and ordered a used cluster on Ebay. I also ordered a uncut flip key with a new transponder chip in it. i need to sync the key with the used cluster and my ecu. I put the used cluster in and it works but shuts the car off in about a second due to the immobilizer system. Had to put the non working one back in. Im not concerened with theft so if i can bypass the system that would be great but if not then i need to know what route to take in reseting all the componets. Any help would be great. Not knowing how fast or what rpms is bad enogh but the fuel gauge also is not working is worse. I already ran out of gas once.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Do you have access to a laptop or VAG-COM. You could google it for VAG-TACHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cluster install

Thanks for the welcome note. I can get access to vag com. But can i disable it through vag-com or is there another tool needed like vas? Kinda new to all the vw electronics from 2000 on up. I read that if you tune the cars chip you can disable the immo system but the guy I have that tunes says that there is another chip besides the performance chip that would have to be rewrote. I would love to just get that whole system out of my car but i dont think it is possible. Ha Ha. I don't think a dealership will even recode a used cluster. I think Im on my own here.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
You haven't said if you have a laptop?

No VAG-COM can't disable the immobilizer else any car thief would just carry a laptop in his kit. I downloaded VAG-TACHO this evening but I find out it won't work the the VCDS cable you need an earlier K-CAN cable which are cheap on eBay.

Vagtacho 3.1 - Vag Dash Programer + Opel

There are loads of threads talking about immobilizer problems on here do a search and have a read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts