VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 volkswagen jetta tdi 1.9l diesel
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Om first of all I'm new here. My brother got. 01 jetta with the 1.9l turbo. We had got the timing belt and water pump replaced and the car drove fine for over a year. He did the egr delete and put bigger injectors in. Well car still drive OK but smoke like crazy so left it parked for half year, now we went to start it and it the engine reved up and was able to shut it off started researching and I bought a new oem turbo for it, installed it cleaned the intake manifold and intercooler from all the oil it had and fink built up. Got it put together went to start and it still had the runaway problem. I'm at a stand still being this is the first time I work on dieselI'm just looking for suggestions on where to look next for the probable cause of this problem....thank for your time I really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
"runaway problem"... And you're sure that was the case? Twice? If so, then the second one was likely caused by oil in the intercooler (have to clean this out any time one has had a runaway- oil left in there is ready to be slurped up and cause a runaway.

Just too vague to know what really happened. Deleting EGR (I don't recommend) and installing bigger injectors (that would be nozzles) sounds like it could have been an amateur job, and who knows what might not have been done right here.

My recommendations on how to proceed:
1) Check timing belt;
2) Pull valve cover and check valves (if there's a problem here then you would be sitting on a ticking time bomb, waiting to have a third meltdown!);
3) Verify integrity of turbo (what replacement did you get? check for shaft play).

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
You have oil, or fuel, getting into the cylinders and burning. The possibilities are pretty limited, however, you must understand where to look. Smoke is the pointer where to look. What color is the smoke? I lean towards the valve seals leaking, or a bad gasket letting oil in somehow.
You need to find someone who knows this engine locally and ask them to diagnose it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts