VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to remove the flywheel so that I can replace it with a new one. I fell victim of the DMF seperation. As you can see in the photo, the bolt holes don't line up. I've tried to lock the flywheel and use a pry bar but it won't move far enough to get to the bolts. It also returns to the same position when I remove the pry bar. Am I missing some trick? Or does anyone have a trick to remove the flywheel? Thanks

IMAG0086.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I thought its supposed to rotate a bit so you can get the bolts out. Look at this video the last few seconds it does move so you can see the bolt holes line up?

GOOD VW TDI DMF

and this is a good one perhaps yours is quite bad thats why it doesn't move?

Dual Mass Flywheel Operation

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after trying several times to turn the flywheel, it seemed that the only option was to enlarge the holes. It worked great just added time to the job. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I wish I had one?
I don't thing you can get a smf for the 6spd box anyway, don't know why. I like the 6spd box though, lovely smooth feel to it, I find my 5spd a bit on the notchy side but maybe it needs rebuilt, new clutch or new cables.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having either clutch or transmission problems, so decided to take off the tranny and expose the clutch. My problem now is my bolt holes wont line up to remove the flywheel, I know it's a common problem and cutting it out is easiest, but does this mean my flywheel is bad?? I am fairly confident my problem is transmission related so I just wanted to take the flywheel off to inspect it not necessarily replace it.

So does the bolt holes in the flywheel not lining up mean theres a flywheel issue?!?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I'm afraid so... the holes should line up when the DMF is "at rest"... there are springs inside that absorb and smooth out the engine's power stroke percussion. If they've given up the ghost, the DMF doesn't return to its normal state with the holes lined up. Time to get out the grinder...

Yuri

1 - 11 of 11 Posts