VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started with the inability to engage into gear while the car was running (tho it would go into gear whn car wasn't running) and not being able to get it fixed in a shop. So this is a compilation of the blogs/sites that were tremendously helpful with various issues that may develop from the transmission/clutch mount ordeal...along with some of my pointers and pics. Hopefully these other blogs/sites will edit and improve with pictures so it would be good to refer back to them if ever you have to. ----pc keystrokes - select site addrss below then [Ctrl] + [C] to copy, and [Ctrl] + [V] to paste in internet explorer address bar, hit enter.

1. Transmission mount and removal - http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/transmission-removal-mk4.htm.....I would never go for the passenger side flange removal option. it does make it easier for tranny install but not worth the hassle of dealing with inserting back in as its nearly impossible to get that spring loaded thing to retract... i now understand my friend's warning to never break a seal as they were installed at the factory with special pressure tools. I would go for this idea of removing the subframe presented in this thread.. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/new-beetle-clutch-r-r-17295/#post74815...Also in that thread is a very IMPORTANT process w/a pic for a successful tran mount. The TEMP BOLT has to be placed in to keep the clutch fork arm from moving around. After the installing the new clutch and the 1st tranny mount drama (with the passenger flange in place), the clutch chattered or thumped...so off went the tranny again as i was told that the clutch was either bad or not on rite. Well it turned out it wasn't the clutch...off went the tranny> Turns out the arm was rubbing against the clutch from the throwup bearing being stuck and it bent the arm. So here i am now...stuck at the passenger flange insertion http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/sos-passenger-side-transmission-flange-18914/

2. Clutch removal and installation - great video, i was in heaven when i found this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2uX3L9PdY

3. When mounting the bolts for tranny. Do the tranny first of course, then the side mount bolts (by the tire axel) before the bolts at the top. If you do the bolts at the top first, it will raise those side mount and make them unreachable.

Ok that's my input for now...i will edit this thread as move along my umm, $%@%#! learning experience which is invaluable (e.g. i never knew what leverage can do, well at least with unscrewing bolts. if ever you cannot unscrew something just put a extension on the tool and its a piece of cake...now with screwing things perhaps the other leverage would work. stay tuned

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know its the best instruction video, love it. And as much as i love chittychittybangbang's instructions to transmission removal/install, DO NOT REMOVE THE PASSENGER SIDE FLANGE. With all due respect, its a bad...chitty move. 1st cause you'll never be able to get it back in to factory state with a tight seal and you'll always have to contend with leaking gear oil (which is a job in itself to keep filling up). ITs not an item that's considered part of maintenance, therefore its not meant to be removed (i bet even a VW dealership shop couldn't get it flush on) 2nd now that the passenger flange is off, the only way to get it on, is to remove the tire and the axel as the cv boot is in the way...that itself is an entirely new project....after all of that i still don't know if i can get the flange in....and im so close to the finish line...i want to cry. Take that chit off as an option, chittychittybangbang.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hy,

I have to change the transmission and the clutch for my jetta mk4. I will use my older jetta to get the parts because it was still in good condition for the transmission and that I've change already the clutch and that jetta. In that time, I used the DIY site to do it, it was very nice and easy.

The post is not working now, I've read on the forum that it was because the site was improved but the DIY are not yet there.

Do you know when it will be possible to have the DIY posts back and specially the one to change the transmission and the clutch?

thanks

Ianis

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Sorry, I didn't chek Forum Rules and Guidelines

So I have a jetta since 2011. It was a mk3 a that time. I run on oil since that time to.
Now I have a mk4 and an old one for piece on wich one I change the clutch with the DIY on this forum. I was very nice and easy.

After that, I had problem with my mk4 on running on oil, very slow power as if the turbo was not working. So I think that it was a problem with the turbo. I found also on this forum how to adjust a turbo, it was also very nice and helpfull (for this I became a premium member to be abble to have all the information). But finaly the problem was a dirty air filter. And after having a new one, it was ok to run on oil.

And now with my mk4, I have a problem with the transmission. there is a sound of a scrap bearing when I go backward. So I think that it is the input or output shaft bearing in the transmission that is scrap. A mechanic told me that it was better to change the transmission with on old one than change de bearing because the bearing on volks seams to cost a lot. I'm not sure if the bearing break, if I will be abble to go forward or not.

So I decided to change the tranmission and rhe clutch because I know that the one on my car for piece was in younger than mine on my present jetta.

And it's why I put a post here, because I'm not abble to find the DIY.

I see on https://www.myturbodiesel.com/pages/tdi-wiki/
Transmission removal on mk4 VW Jetta TDI , also Golf and New Beetle TDI

but the thread is not complete.

And it seems also like some other people, that even if I'm a premium member, I can't have the full DIY stuff

I think that you already try to fix all this problem.

Is there a way to have the DIY for removal and replace the transmission and the clutch of a mk4?

I hope that I respect all the rules, guidelines of this forum.

thanks

Ianis

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Sorry, I didn't chek Forum Rules and Guidelines

I'm from Quebec, 1h30 north of Montreal.

So I have a jetta since 2011. It was a mk3 1990 a that time. I run on oil since that time to.
Now I have a mk4 1,9L diesel 2000 450 000 Km and an old one for piece on wich one I change the clutch with the DIY on this forum. I was very nice and easy.

After that, I had problem with my mk4 on running on oil, very slow power as if the turbo was not working. So I think that it was a problem with the turbo. I found also on this forum how to adjust a turbo, it was also very nice and helpfull (for this I became a premium member to be abble to have all the information). But finaly the problem was a dirty air filter. And after having a new one, it was ok to run on oil.

And now with my mk4, I have a problem with the transmission. there is a sound of a scrap bearing when I go backward. So I think that it is the input or output shaft bearing in the transmission that is scrap. A mechanic told me that it was better to change the transmission with on old one than change de bearing because the bearing on volks seams to cost a lot. I'm not sure if the bearing break, if I will be abble to go forward or not.

So I decided to change the tranmission and rhe clutch because I know that the one on my car for piece was in younger than mine on my present jetta.

And it's why I put a post here, because I'm not abble to find the DIY.

I see on https://www.myturbodiesel.com/pages/tdi-wiki/
Transmission removal on mk4 VW Jetta TDI , also Golf and New Beetle TDI

but the thread is not complete.

And it seems also like some other people, that even if I'm a premium member, I can't have the full DIY stuff

I think that you already try to fix all this problem.

Is there a way to have the DIY for removal and replace the transmission and the clutch of a mk4?

I hope that I respect all the rules, guidelines of this forum.

thanks

Ianis

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hy
just to let you know that the job is done, I put the tranny of my old jetta on the new one. And it's working fine. I found on my computer the DIY of this forum for changing the tranny and the clutch, so if someone wants it. just email me, I will send it to you. It's so easy with the DIY document. Thanks.

Here my email : [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts