VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Navigon GPS installed on my iPhone but can't get the turn by turn audio to work when paired with the cars Bluetooth. I understand the audio probably wouldn't work over the car speakers but why wouldn't it come out of the phone speakers? As soon as I Unpair it with the Golf it works fine.

Any ideas?...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Don't know but can you connect to the radio through the ad2p? Maybe it will work if you make the car think that it's playing music when you want the gps to speak over the speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is, in fact, what seems to be happening.

My Nokia and the wife's iPhone4 have no issues streaming music (a steady, ummm ... stream!) over Bluetooth, and I understand this is what A2DP is designed to support.

Navigon/Waze GPS nav software on the iPhone4 fails at sending sound to the car's music system (and the phone speakers stay muted because an A2DP connection is available).

My Nokia smartphone happily re-enables (the BT source light/touch button lights up) BT A2DP with Nokia/Ovi Maps voice directions and usually also with Waze map voice directions, with possibly a half syllable lost as the re-connection occurs.

Chalk another one to the icky Bluetooth implementation on the Jobs-ian God-phone, vis a vis reliable, standards compliant devices from Nokia et al :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an iPhone 3GS and have recently been using Motion X Drive, Mapquest Navigator, and most recently the TomTom iPhone application. They all work the same with my 2011 JSW's bluetooth....fine.

To make it work you must ensure that bluetooth is turned on on the phone, the car and the phone are synched, and bluetooth audio is turned on in the car. Then you must select "media" in the car's radio (which must be on), and select bluetooth from the choice of inputs. Additionally, it takes a little bit for an initial synch. To speed up the synch you can make a call via that car's bluetooth link.

Have tried this with all sorts of iPhone apps, including playing music from iTunes, and everything works perfectly. The downside is that in this configuration you can't listen to the car radio, etc....basically, you are telling the car radio to accept audio inputs only via bluetooth.

If you then tell the car to disconnect the bluetooth link, the iPhone's speakers will immediately start working.

Anyhow, that's how it works. Has nothing to do with any personality deficiencies of Steve Jobs.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not his personality deficiencies, but the multitude of BT and speakerphone type issues that the iPhone4 has, that I have serious issue with.

Glad to hear it works better witht eh old iphone :) The same series of steps reproducibly only reliably streams MUSIC (streamed/on-pphone) from the wifey's iPhone4 to the 9W7-based BT in my 2011 JSW. Discontinuously streaming A2DP (including a Skype call etc) lead to a big FAIL.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to keep that old beater 3GS of mine! I'll have to borrow someone's 4 and see what happens. One thing that I did notice was that the bluetooth audio link seems to have a small amount of latency. What I mean by that is that if you have a continuous stream all is well (as you have described), but if it's intermittent the link takes maybe a second to start up. Seems like it's activated when there is traffic. The result is that the first word or so gets truncated. Is this what you are experiencing? This seems to vary a bit from app to app, with the Tom Tom app being worse than the MotionX products (both GPS and Drive) and the Mapquest app.

At any rate, all this is very different from what Cincojoe is experiencing. In his case it appears that there is no link at all...which is almost surely the result of a settings issue...which should be correctable.

Dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello Ashutoshsm. Another factor to consider is the sleep situation with your phone. I've found that there can be losses of bluetooth connectivity when the phone goes to sleep. I've found that by setting the phone to not sleep, the connectivity is perfect. Similarly, apps that prevent the phone from sleeping, such as TomTom, MotionX Drive and GPS, and Mapquest, don't have seem to have connectivity issues.

It's just a hunch, but I would think it likely that if you set your iPhone 4 to not sleep the connectivity loss issues you are experiencing might stop. Would be interested to hear what happens if you give it a try.

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand I can use BT in order to get it work but I'm forced to have my music options come from the phone. I have a 80GB iPod hooked up through the MDI for music. So that leaves me with pandora. I just want the phones speakers to work no matter what source I'm using. I guess they really didn't think this BT thing all the way through.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The phone speakers will work if you don't turn on bluetooth. The phone has to output sound either to it's internal speakers, the headphone output, or bluetooth. You have to make a choice. Not sure that it could be any other way. If you unpair the phone from the VW radio, the phone speaker will work. So, you have a choice. You can either pair with the VW radio and have the iPhone audio output through the radio or you can not pair and have the iPhone audio output through it's own speakers. Totally up to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im actually not pairing it with the radio, im pairing it with the car through the MFD. Same thing I guess. I just want to be able to listen to am/fm or SAT, have the ability to make a hands free phone call and use my Navigon. I can understand if I was on a call the phone speaker wouldn't work, but if I'm not using the phone why wouldn't the phone speakers work with Navigon? I guess I really don't understand how BT works. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sad to say you can't do all 3 of the things you want to do. Once you pair the phone with the car, the speaker output from the phone is directed to the bluetooth link...which means that in order to hear the directions you need to use the car audio system....which means you can't use it for radio, sat, or any other non-phone inputs. Basically, once the phone is paired with the car, ALL it's audio output is sent via bluetooth. So, if you don't have BT set as the audio input, you won't hear the GPS directions.

It's unfortunate, but I think one of the limitations of a not completely integrated system. I'm actually beginning to think it might make more sense to buy a bluetooth-capable GPS unit and simply use that as the phone input...and play the radio/sat/etc as you deem appropriate. Then you get it all, but not really integrated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. You should have seen my answer from Navigon tech support. They said I need to delete the app and reinstall. Lol I replied with did you even read my question? Idiots.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Easy answer to a not so easy question. Apple needs to add a feature that allows one to send the iPhone audio output to the phone speakers even when the phone is paired with the radio. That would do the trick. Probably not high on their list of development tasks.

Unfortunately, as these systems become more complex, troubleshooting becomes that much more difficult. I'm assuming that the Navigon app will output sound to the iPhone speakers if bluetooth is turned off. In fairness to these guys, this problem really is beyond their ability to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Start your car, and make sure your iphone is bluetooth enabled and paired with the car. Start the Navigon program on your iphone. under "options" within the program (either from the main menu screen or by tapping the "options" button at the top right when on the map), scroll down, and under General, you'll see a Volume slider. If your phone is paired with the car, next to the volume slider you'll see a little icon that looks like a rectangle with a triangle in front of it. tap that. it will bring up a dialog box that will let you choose the output option, whether through the iphone speakers or the car speakers.

downside is, for me, i have to do this every time i start the car. it also default's the telephone audio through the iphone speakers, so i have to switch back to to the car speakers if i get a call. i haven't found a great way to get all my audio through the car speakers -- phone, gps, and radio (different inputs on the stereo). ultimately what i'll probably do is just use pandora for all my music once my trial sirius subscription expires, and leave my stereo set to aux/bluetooth all the time, except for when i want to listen to NPR and then i'll just switch over. that way, i get my calls, music, and gps all through the car speakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts