VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Anyone have any comments on the latest nav unit vs the stock radio and standalone navigation device.
I will be getting an allocation soon, but don't know if the $1700. Nav unit is worth the extra money vs a standalone Garmin type for $175.

I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You could always buy a grey market part, install the antenna and unit, then sell the stock radio.

My car has the last generation MFD2 GPS navigation. It works but the map is 2 or 3 versions old and I've found 1 route where it stupidly tells me to get off the highway and get back on and my portable TOMTOM doesn't. The tomtom definitely has better route logic. Both require you to sometimes "manually detour" to force the GPS to put you on the correct path.

Neither hasn't not found an address. To purchase the latest map DVD (the RNS is hard drive based) costs more than my TOMTOM.

The integration of the RNS 510 is great and it displays the phone book if your Bluetooth has that capability. However, any GPS, even a portable Garmin or TOMTOM will be outdated in a few years.

The main danger in any GPS or cabin electronics is head down time. I don't like that the unit is relatively low in the dashboard because it distracts you from driving. The same goes for radios, cell phones (even when hands free bluetooth), and ipods. Head down time = distractions = more accidents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my opinion the Nav option is not worth it. My $200 Garmin is way easier to use, more accurate, and more convenient than the $1600 unit in my wives Mazda 3. The other day I used my unit in her car. It is easier to update the portables and you can take them along into a rental car. The only drawback is the dangeling wire but for a $1500 difference I can live with it!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll order the car without the Nav and pay a car audio shop to hide the wire for a portable unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts