VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help we've been trying to figure out what's causing my jetta to not start. This all started when I was driving home I stopped at a red light when it turned green as I was pulling out to go I felt ut sputter couple times and than lost power I pushed down on gas pedal but there was nothing. Lije it had no pressure at all and my car died out. Tried to start it but wouldn't start. We had it towed home. I've had the glow plugs changed fuel pump and filter changed we weatherized it. Shot carb cleaner into see if it would at least try to turn over but it didn't so we ruled out anything to do with the fuel. Need help any ideas what it could be or what else we could check on that would cause it not to start. Its got crank but no start. Please help with any ideas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
year, model, engine type? ?.. not provided enough information for anyone to help you.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
how many miles does it have?
When was the last time the timing belt was replaced?
You need VAGCOM to scan the engine onboard diagnostic computer for fail codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You say it turns over so that's a good thing. That means your timing belt is in tact. starting with fuel and compression. the Anti-shudder valve first. make sure it is open when the engine is trying to start. and check your fuel supply to the fuel filter from the tank pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please help we've been trying to figure out what's causing my jetta to not start. This all started when I was driving home I stopped at a red light when it turned green as I was pulling out to go I felt ut sputter couple times and than lost power I pushed down on gas pedal but there was nothing. Lije it had no pressure at all and my car died out. Tried to start it but wouldn't start. We had it towed home. I've had the glow plugs changed fuel pump and filter changed we weatherized it. Shot carb cleaner into see if it would at least try to turn over but it didn't so we ruled out anything to do with the fuel. Need help any ideas what it could be or what else we could check on that would cause it not to start. Its got crank but no start. Please help with any ideas.
Hi, I had this same problem, the bolt that goes into the block for the timing belt tensioner has come loose, so it is out of spec. Take off the timing belt cover and use a small mirror to see if the timing belt tensioner is out of spec. You will also see the neon yellow timing mark on the cam sprocket on the edge. Just adjust the tensioner (check YouTube on timing belt install for the 1.9) But the bolt that goes through the tensioner may be loose in the block, a timing belt replacement Would be recommended, and replace that bolt and use blue loctite to hold it in place. Timing belt and water pump should be done every 80k miles. Please reply with any questions.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Agree with Ulsdfo. The Jetta pictured had been in for timing belt service (25k miles after) and the timing belt idler stud backed out, breaking the oil pan. Customer continued to drive it to work (no CEL). However, it would not restart and a pool of oil had formed under the car. Customer noted the oil while the Jetta was loaded on a flatbed wrecker.
80C572A0-6C5D-46EB-A42C-60FB9E2C57FF.jpg FCA46687-D849-456F-ADCE-D42125987E3B.png 998EABD5-7FD4-4EC0-963C-8A23677B82DF.png

1 - 9 of 9 Posts