VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Ahh yeah…youve got high mileage unit there so worn cam and shagged lifters are to be expected…reason i asked which turbo is i had a new dealer installed mahle unit at the time that drove me nutso cuz i thought it just could not be an issue with a new turbo…then i finally overcame that mental block and put in a well worn garrett and presto wunderbar…buddy had same issue..true story;).

Try unplugging your EGR for giggles.

I just a made an EGR block off plate from scrap while troubleshooting…you may have an intercooler leak? All that aged plastic argh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
were you on the P0299 train, too?
I did a pressure test and a smoke test and didn't find any leaks..

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Indeed and it was killing me.
How many psi used during smoke test?

Keep on isolating avenues of failure I say. Now whether its worth a new cam and lifters is a good question…bsm delete already happen?

And…if any item was replaced with anything from China it is suspect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Indeed and it was killing me.
How many psi used during smoke test?

Keep on isolating avenues of failure I say. Now whether its worth a new cam and lifters is a good question…bsm delete already happen?

And…if any item was replaced with anything from China it is suspect.
I think I was at like 15-20psi, best I can remember; it's been awhile.
BSM Delete: IDK what that is. This car is about 100% virgin OEM. lol
I did replace the N75 with a chinese version, I do believe..I think that was the first thing I tried when I originally got the code. Then it was the turbo outlet intercooler pipe (had the infamous hole in it).
then vacuum lines, then cleaned the EGR, then cleaned MAF, then replaced air filter, then pressure/smoke tested, then pulled the turbo.. BTW, the nut on the turbo to manifold stud, the one towards the airbox.. F that sumbich.. lol

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
BSM delete is removal of balanceshaft module and replacing oil pump with a jetta derived unit. Youre at the right place to read all about it;). Main killer of bhws.

You may get lucky and find fault with the chinese n75…or not. You’re looking at several hun in parts to do the cam and lifters plus tbelt, waterpump, tstat etc etc…Kerma tdi has all the parts and if youre that deep into it the bsm gears and chain must be clanging away so thats a timebomb right there.

I’m afraid youre staring down the barrel of diminishing returns here…best case you find your boost problem and drive until mechanical failure unless the owner loves it and is willing to invest a thou or so in parts…labour be damned yada yada.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Good for you !

no idea what shape its in but you might get lucky. If not, a useable trans is worth a few bucks and there are folks that will buy a bhw to swap into toyota 4x4’s

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's in decent shape, just a ton of miles, and a little rust on the LF fender..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nope, I'm gonna have to save a little for a cam/lifters. 6-700$ repair is a lot to flop down for a 400k mile engine.. especially if I'm not 100% certain it will fix the issue lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, UPDATE:
Got a new cam, lifters, bolts. Pulled it apart, put the new cam in, aligned the tandem pump, timed cam, tried rotating the engine by hand.. it moved about 1" and stopped. backed it back up, rechecked timing marks, all was on point..pulled the cam back out, and saw one of the ears on the tandem pump was broken off.. FML
So I ordered a replacement tandem pump..
I'm also trying to find replacement harmonic balancer bolts, but every thing I find online looks too long. Thoughts?

Wonder if I broke the ear off the tandem pump, or if it was on it's way out. I really don't know how I'd done it, as I was super gentle with putting it all back together..

So now, 900$ in parts later, if this doesn't fix the original issue, I've got about 100 lbs of tannerite that the Passat will get to experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Feel your pain.! Ouch. Find the broken hunk of ear? You aren’t the first to experience this.
Yeah, it was laying in the channel. Got it all cleaned out. New tandem pump will be here Wednesday, so I should get it all back together by the end of the week, if I have time. I probably broke it laying the new cam into position, most likely..

I hate putting the OE soft bolts back in it (new ones). But I guess that's my option, unless I can find some stainless ones.. but that flanged cap head is the kicker, for local finding...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
No love...
NEW:
  • Camshaft
  • Lifters
  • Vacuum Lines
  • Tandem Pump
  • N75
  • Fuel Filter
  • S-Boost hose (turbo outlet)
    • Checked others for cracks, all good
  • Turbo Service - No issue found
  • Air Filter
Checked and/or fixed
  • VNT Actuator - Fine
  • EGR - fine
  • Intake manifold - Not bad, cleaned anyway
  • Timing
I'm sure I'm missing stuff..
Boost pressure/smoke test - no issues found
VNT holds vacuum as intended, operates freely
Vacuum canister functions as intended.

Exhaust always seems to stink.. not like a regular diesel, but smells... idk.. dusty, or musty? hard to explain.

Cleared codes, drove it, took a highway entrance ramp (my normal test route) and low n behold... at about 60mph while accelerating up the on-ramp.. BOOM: limp mode...
Came home P0299...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts