VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was helping my mother run errands this weekend, and was waiting in the parking lot listening to the radio. Since it was a longer errand, I turned the engine off then just moved the key forward again to keep the radio on. When I turned the car back on, the radio pretty much stopped working. It displayed fine and would switch sources (FM, AM, Media, etc.) but nothing actually played and all other controls were frozen. So now when I turn the car on, the radio unit never actually turns on, unless I hit the power dial. Then it takes way longer than usual to turn on and does the same non-responsive thing.

Anyone hear of things happening like this before? I've never liked the stereo really and have thought about just getting a 3rd party one now, but I'm not quite ready to spend the money on it.

And this should be covered under warranty, correct? The car is less than a year old....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it into the dealer yesterday since I couldn't live without a radio any longer. Having my cell phone playing music was just not cutting it.

They took it in and said they couldn't find any problems with the unit. But when they plugged it back in, voila, it started working again. So my assumption is that it was a software glitch and just completely locked up the stereo. They are still going to order a replacement radio just in case.

I haven't looked in the user's manual yet, but is there a fuse block diagram in it? If I had thought about it sooner, to do the same kind of "reset" you should just be able to pull the fuse for the stereo right?

Also, they mentioned there were 3 updates waiting for my car, and the service manager specifically asked about any issues with the TPMS system (which I have not had any). This is kind of strange because I only had my 10k service about a month ago and didn't mention it... but might as well get it done if I'm going to be taking it back in for the stereo.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There's a FAQ article which deals with the TPMS flash update.

There's also an o2 sensor recall. If you could scan the work order or type in the details of the 3 updates they are, I'm sure others would be interested.

There's normally a fuse on the back of the radio and a pin out diagram but I haven't looked at this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts