VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys/gals.

I said a few weeks ago that I bought a new fuel filter when I was down at the dealers, as its now done just over 20k.

Old fuel filter 1K0 127 177 B was superseded with new fuel filter 1K0 127 434 B - £26.28 with O ring.

Now I'm sorry the pictures aren't that good it just my old phone but you will get the story as it goes on.

I put a cloth around the filter canister to catch any diesel that runs down the side. Remove the 5 screws securing the top onto the canister using a M30 torx bit in a stared fashion. The top is tight on its canister you need to use a flat blade screwdriver in the slot at the front of the filter top to carefully lift the top up.

Release the fuel pipes from their support clips so you have enough room to pull the filter top straight out. Remove the old fuel filter and the sealing O ring at the top. I looked in the container and it was spotless no bits or metal filings in there. Now there wasn't much diesel in the canister with the top off. I used some clean cloth and just cleaned it out you couldn't really tell if there was any water in there either that would have been at the bottom. On this top there is no extra plug in the middle to do the water separator service.

Now this filter is strange as it only has a seal at the top the bottom is closed off. There is nothing in the bottom of the canister to push the filter upward, no spring or plate.

Old filter.

New filter.

Fit the new sealing O ring but do a light smear it with grease. When I tried to fit the top back on it was very tight and I didn't want to use the screws to force it down. Fit the 5 M30 torx bit screws in the top and pinch down each one evenly in a stared fashion. I don't have a small torque wrench so I just nipped them up.

Priming the Fuel Pump.

Run VCDS. Click the Select button in Control Modules.

Click on 01-Engine then click on Output Tests 03. Select Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit from Combobox and click the Start button to run the fuel pump.

Now before I clicked Start I didn't want diesel pumping out over the front of the engine. I remove the fuel feed to the injection pump of the filter top and I used a small piece of nylon piping and a small container to catch the diesel.

Then I had the laptop on a stool by the front wing so I could see what was happening. I clicked Start and the fuel pump ran and it pumped diesel into the container. I clicked Stop and emptied the diesel onto another container. You can fit a large container to catch the diesel as there isn't enough room.

Now I don't think you have to purge the air out as I saw nothing come out and Chitties video didn't purge the air he just started it up.

I clicked Start a couple more times and there was no air bubbles coming our. I refitted the original fuel pipe. I clicked Start again and just left it running to check for any leaks around the top.

I started the car up and just left it running so I could check for any leaks from the canister. All was OK so I gave the car a run around to make sure it performed OK.

Job done in around 20 minutes once you have all the kit and tools to hand.

There is a video that Chitty made so you can see the differences on a 2009 Jetta.

2009 VW Jetta TDI - Fuel Filter Change

Before I did the fuel filter change I did the normal AutoScan to see if anything new had appeared all OK.

This stupid new forum won't show pictures from my album.

When I did an AutoScan when I had the Wipers-Washers not working problem it picked up.

VAG Error Code: 00927

Fault Location:
Terminal 30; Right - Open Circuit

Possible Cause:
-

Possible Solutions:
Check Central Electronics (J519) Supply Voltage.

This hasn't come back after I cleared the DTC.

I have google it this error code but there is nothing definite that comes back only users have changed a burnt out fuse box under the bonnet or it was a bad earth on the right hand headlamp.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why did you remove the fuel line and run the diesel into another container instead of just leaving the fuel line attached and run the pumps that way? Seems like this would not be needed since running the pumps with the line still attached will accomplish the same thing. When I did mine I didn't remove the line, just ran the pumps.

·
Super Moderator
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was curious, I wanted to see if any air came out.

I really need to update these pics as I use a cheap phone I keep in the car, I've since bought a good camera.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Keith.

just hoping you replaced the fuel line in proper location and ran both pumps before starting the engine.

probably history at this point.

I would have mentioned it less had you pulled the line that returns to the fuel tank, but having the one that feeds the intermediate pump and then the HPFP and rail, would raise the possibility that air was entered into the system. (assuming your engine is similar to ours and has an electric fuel pump under the hood which feeds fuel from the filter to the HPFP and from there to rail and injectors)

if this is the case, hope you did not use VCDS to operate the intermediate pump to pull air into the system with the connector off.

I trust you did all this stuff correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts